‘Tis the Season: A Little Guide to Holiday Gift-Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

With both Thanksgiving and Black Friday right around the corner, it’s finally time to check our bank accounts and start creating lists of what to get for our loved ones this holiday season. However, much to our frustration, finding the perfect gift for everyone we know is never an easy task. At the end of the day, we all want nothing more than bright smiles and tight hugs from those who’ve just unwrapped their presents. So, how can we achieve this level of flawless gift-giving?

1. Pay Attention to That Person’s Interests

From romance novels to lawn care, each person we’re shopping for is unique. With that being said, it’s important to pay attention to what they’re interested in – even if you have no understanding of it whatsoever. If you live with that person, take inventory of their room when they’re not home. What’s hanging on their walls? What kind of figurines or self-care products do they have? If you both use social media, scroll through their following list and search for different clothing brands or online shops. Do they follow any visual artists, sports teams, or product-creating celebrities? Moreover, check out their Spotify, Apple Music, or Pandora! Band tees, other merch and concert tickets are always the way to a music lover’s heart. If they enjoy specific movies or shows, play video games, spend most of their time in the kitchen or have pets, lookup items that can further their interest or be of great use to them! The more niche and/or practical you get, the more they’ll adore your gift.

2. Identify Their Love Languages

As explained by the lovely Stephanie Feagin, knowing a person’s love language is crucial to enhancing your relationship with them. According to her article, the five different love languages are quality time, acts of service, words of affirmation, gift-giving and physical touch. While gift-giving is the obvious one this time of year, the remaining love languages can be catered to in many different ways. You can buy you and your person tickets to an upcoming event or take them out on a fancy dinner date. You can treat them to a spa day, plan a spontaneous trip to somewhere they’ve been wanting to go, or even clean their room or apartment while they’re out. Additionally, you can gift them a jar full of handwritten positive affirmations or buy them a journal for self-expression. Despite the messages from both the holidays and capitalism, gift-giving doesn’t have to concern material items. As long as you provide for your loved one’s specific love languages, they’ll never forget the genuine care you put into their present.

3. Completely Surprise Them!

Still unsure of what to give? While every gift may already be a surprise, straying into uncharted territory for your loved ones is a great way to expand everyone’s horizons. If you find yourself with nothing to do, go explore local shopping districts! Places like Kitsch and Eleanor’s Norfolk offer a wide variety of books, jewelry, art and more that may strike your person’s fancy. Plus, you’ll be supporting small and local businesses during the busiest (and most competitive) time of the year! If you’re creatively talented, you can gift a handmade painting, necklace, card or sweater. One of my most cherished gifts is a series of drawings my best friend made me, which feature places we constantly visit in North Carolina. If neither of these ideas is up your alley, a two-hour scroll through #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt will surely provide you with something to give your person. Additionally, Today has an amazing set of lists that can help you find new and perfect gifts for everyone you’re giving to this year.

With all that being said, I wish you the best of luck with your holiday shopping! It may seem like a daunting endeavor, but in reality, you already know what your loved ones will truly appreciate. And hopefully, they’ll appreciate your gifts just enough to grant you this year’s bragging rights!

Hi, my name is Paige! I'm a former journalism student at ODU, as well as Her Campus ODU's former Culture Editor. Check out my stories!