This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Although I am not an expert, I do find thrifting to be one of my passions. I’ve been thrifting since I was a kid. As I’ve grown thrifting has become an art, something that takes time with immediate reward. My favorite part is finding pieces that help me express myself while being sustainable. Sustainability is one of the perks that keeps me going. 

Everybody wants to know the secrets of thrifting. How do you do it? I know thrifting can be intimidating at first, but so is working out or meeting new people. It takes time to get used to. With a little patience and practice, you’ll be a master thrifter in no time. I know I just said “with patience and practice,” but it takes more than that. Today I will be sharing some of the tips and tricks that I have gathered over the years.

Before your thrift trip:

1.  Donate

Before thrifting see what items you own and don’t wear. I do a closet clean out every six months to get rid of things I haven’t worn that season. This allows there to be more space in your closet for new and exciting things. Doing so also helps out your local thrift store because your trash will become someone else’s treasure. Some thrift stores give out store credit however it is not guaranteed. 

1. Inspiration

The whole point of clothing is self-expression. To express yourself and be who you want to be. Sometimes I like using Pinterest to find inspiration and creating boards always helps with that.

1. Set a budget 

Setting a budget helps regulate how many items you get. With a budget, you’ll get products that you want and will wear.

1. Wear comfortable and neutral clothing 

Some thrift stores have dressing rooms, but many have closed them for different reasons. Being comfortable is important because it is shopping and who wants to be uncomfortable while walking and standing? Wearing neutral colors allows you to envision yourself wearing said item without having patterns or colors clash. Lastly, wearing thinner clothes helps with slipping on and off items while standing in an aisle which is super common, so don’t be afraid to try.

During your thrift trip:

1.  Out of box

Don’t limit yourself to one part of the store. Search in men’s, women’s, and children’s sections. I recommend the men’s section for baggy shirts, pants, and jackets. The women’s section is good for dresses and skirts. And when looking for baby tees I find the children’s section can be a goldmine. Plus, they have funny graphic shirts so you can get a little laugh in while you’re at it. Be open. 

1.  Don’t rush

Thrifting is not to be rushed. It is something that requires patience and time. Remember, you are searching through hundreds of people’s clothes and not everything is going to be a hit. Just because you go to the thrift store doesn’t mean you have to walk out with something (it can be a cool pastime). All good things come with time. 

1.  Make yes/no/maybe piles 

This is one of the last steps because you are almost at the end of your journey. The yes and no piles are obviously what you want and don’t want. The maybe pile is where it gets messy because you want it and don’t. I like to see if I can imagine an outfit that I could put together. Preferably with clothes I already own. Remember you can ponder until you get to the register to pick. 

These tips I find I use almost every time I go thrifting and they always work. Remember, thrifting isn’t supposed to be hard. Enjoy yourself. Find new styles that make you feel your best. My last tip is to embrace who you are and enjoy it! Nobody can live life like you can, especially in a newly thrifted outfit.

Hi! I'm Sharesa. I'm a sophomore at Old Dominion University, my major is Journalism with a minor in film studies. My star sign is Sagittarius, which you can definitely tell by my personality. If you asked anybody to describe me in three words laid-back, funny, and independent would come up. Some of my hobbies are thrifting, listening to music, and meditating. I have always been a little on the wonky side of fashion but as I've gotten older it has become more refined (but still wacky) and I hope to share this with y'all. Listening to music to me is spiritual, I find it to be calming. Some of my favorite artist include Mac Miller, $uicideBoy$, and Lil peep. Finding people that listen to the same music as me is rare, so if you do don't be afraid to hmu:) Mediating is an everyday thing that I try to incorporate. Finding the quiet and stillness in life is key. I am super excited to have HerCampus be a part of my story. Finding this group is a blessing and I can't wait to see where it goes. This is only a small piece of who I am, and I can't wait to share and grow with you all.