This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Fall approaching means a new wardrobe for many, myself included. With trends coming and going and there being a plethora of styles to choose from, it can be tough to find your own unique approach to style. 

I think to find your own style, step one is to figure out what you like. Whether it’s cool pants or funky sweaters, knowing what staple pieces you like to wear is key. I personally love hats. Bucket hats, baseball caps, beanies; I love them all. You don’t have to find these pieces at ridiculously expensive stores either. Thrift stores can get you plenty of cool pieces for cheap. Online shopping is my go-to. Stores like ASOS, Nasty Gal, and even Amazon have reasonably priced, good quality clothing items and accessories. 

Step two is to find timeless pieces. Some things I would consider timeless pieces are: plain black and white tops, a blazer, a pair of plain blue jeans, a pair of plain black jeans, a pair of black boots, a little black dress, a denim jacket, a neutral colored skirt and a nice winter jacket. It’s important to focus on pieces that you can wear all the time that you can mix and match. 

Step three is to find fashion inspiration. There is fashion inspiration all around us. Whether your style inspo is Bella Hadid, Rihanna or a random Pinterest post you saw, they all have outfits that you might want to recreate. You can  even be walking to class and see tree leaves changing from green to red and yellow and get outfit inspiration from that. 

The most important step is to remember that there isn’t one style that you have to stick to. If you like different styles, you should wear all of them. One day I’ll dress vintage, the next casual athleisure and after that super girly or grunge. Finding your unique style means dressing how you want without letting the opinions of others influence you. Remember, you could always be someone else’s fashion inspo!

I'm a senior Fashion Merchandising major at Old Dominion University! I love shopping, trying new restaurants, hanging out with friends and writing.