“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” Movie Recap (Emily’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

If you experienced frantically fighting through what felt like a world war for Swifties for Taylor Swift tickets when “The Eras Tour” was initially announced, you were quite relieved when purchasing “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” movie tickets. A few simple clicks to choose your seats and insert your payment method is all it takes, and you are not even rushed. 

The movie, at an impressive almost three hours long, captures the full start to end concert of Swift captivating her audience through her 10 different albums at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. The movie not only gives Swifties unable to attend the “The Eras Tour” an HD viewing of one of, if not the most, popular concerts of the year, but also gives Swifties who did attend the concert a chance to relive one of their happiest memories. Movie goers planned outfits in advance, choosing between fancy numbers or something a bit more laid back but always making sure to remember their friendship bracelets. 

To get the full experience, Swifties first make sure to take pictures with the display posters featuring a vibrant Swift in her (arguably) most iconic bodysuit from the tour and additional backdrops used by their choice in theater. They also grab their free mini keepsake poster. Swifties then race their way to the food counter to purchase the souvenir soda cup and popcorn bucket for $19.89 in honor of Taylor’s album “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” being re-recorded and set to be released on Oct. 27, 2023. Finally, fans make their way into the theater and interact with other fans and trade friendship bracelets before finding their way to their seat and settling down for the movie. 

The movie starts with the iconic intro music before Swift’s grand reveal. Whether you are a Swiftie who attended the concert or watched live streams from afar, this is a moment sure to make your eyes water (or completely bawl if you are anything like me). Following her reveal, you follow Swift through her many eras and gain insight on the inspirations, intentions, and growth as a person through her music. For many, this is their opportunity to get up, dance and sing along to their favorite songs *cough, “Champagne Problems,” cough* with their favorite artist with no care in the middle of the theater. 

At the end of the movie, Swift graciously thanks her dancers, backup vocalists and band before the conclusion of the first U.S. leg of the tour. The following screen displays friendship bracelets, a popular aspect of the concert, thanking the fans for sticking around and making the tour and movie possible. This indicates the end credits which display pictures and videos of fans and their stellar outfits from the tour.

While the movie was meticulously filmed and edited, it feels raw and authentic, as if Swift is giving the audience in the theater a personal concert. This movie was a perfect way to capture Swift in all her eras while the fans could and provide her fans with a meaningful way to enjoy the concert in a way that felt real (and to make them cry happy tears for three hours)!

Hello! My name is Emily Harrison! I'm currently a junior at Old Dominion University studying strategic communication and marketing. I find joy in sharing my experience in relationship building, professional development and the journey of being college student.