Jenn Tran: The First Asian-American Bachelorette

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

ABC network’s, “The Bachelorette,” a dating reality show, welcomes the first Asian American lead, Jenn Tran. She is described as a Vietnamese American. Many were thrilled that someone like them would end up as a lead on the TV show. This is the start of her journey to find love. She has expressed how she is honored to be the first Asian lead in this franchise and has discussed that she always wanted to see Asian representation on TV. Jenn Tran describes her ideal love interest as someone with a big personality, and also someone who makes her feel 100 percent and someone she feels compatible with.

A 2023 report by Nielsen analyzed how Asian American representation through the media has drawn interest from the Asian American and Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander (AANHPI) audience. However, it states that AANHPI communities still remain underrepresented in all media industries which accounted for the majority of viewing among the U.S. audiences. (The Nielsen Company (US), LLC, 2023). Additionally, we see more East Asian representation versus South Asians, Southeast Asians, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders. 

Growing up in her life with her parents, she described opening up about her conflict with an immigrant family’s dysfunctional household. She said that she had experienced trauma growing up. Usually in Vietnamese culture, it is very uncommon to live with parents until marriage, or even after, in an adult relationship. Tran’s parents often had volatile fights when she was a kid and the relationship with her father deteriorated for years. Her father slept in the basement for six years due to the constant fighting. This hurt Jenn in many ways being in a traumatic place and she felt unwanted by her dad and never felt truly loved. Due to family circumstances, she no longer has a relationship with her dad. 

Jenn Tran is a sweet and compassionate young woman who has dedicated her life to helping others. She is currently studying to become a physician assistant in Miami. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in May 2020 and received a bachelor’s degree in molecular biology. When she was in college, she served as the Red Dress chairman for Alpha Phi Foundation and organized a fundraiser, a gala that raised more than $30,000 for women’s cardiovascular health. While working in health care, she is ready to prioritize finding love. 

Personally, I think it is amazing to see Asians appear on national television through movies, TV shows, sports and also in entertainment. I am also Asian American; I was originally born and adopted from Cambodia and was raised and now residing in Northern Virginia. I am so thrilled to see more and more Asian representation in any type of industry or careers. This is a big inspiration and has a huge impact in society, especially for young Asian girls.

Northern Virginia Undergraduate at ODU Major: Strategic Communications Minor: Marketing