EVERY LIFE COUNTS. An ODU Psychologist Shares Critical Tips On Suicide Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Written by Nyjah Harris

Trigger warning: discussion of mental health, suicide, depression, etc.

Whenever you hear the word suicide, it may only appear occasionally during your lifetime or heavily stated during September in honor of National Suicide Prevention Month. Most people only discuss suicide during its month of awareness and afterwards, it is pushed back to the point of near vanishment. Yes, suicide is an extremely sensitive topic to discuss, but in our world  where there is a heavy stigma surrounding mental health, it is so important that we continue these discussions. Our society needs to know the importance of this crisis and people who are struggling need to feel safe and heard, so they can always have a reminder to keep going. 

A question you may be considering is why aren’t we talking “about this?” Especially if suicide is such an important topic, why is it not being discussed more? The big six-letter word, STIGMA, provides the answer. The stigma against mental health is one of the largest barriers we have yet to overcome. However, the more we talk about it, the more it becomes normalized. 

“As a suicide prevention researcher and a mental health advocate, it is important we talk about mental health in the way we talk about physical health”

Dr. Cassie Glenn

To provide the most effective studies on suicide, Old Dominion University professor, Dr. Cassie Glenn, who is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology and directs the Youth Risk & Resilience Lab has provided first-hand insight on this topic. “As a suicide prevention researcher and a mental health advocate, it is important we talk about mental health in the way we talk about physical health,” The first step to promoting awareness within our world and society is by creating a healthy environment for everyone.

Dr. Glenn shares, “As a society, there are many pieces to this aspect. If we are going to have conversations on suicide, we need to create safe spaces.” How do we create a safe space? By changing the infrastructure of our systems. We need the same access for mental health that people receive for physical health. “For example, we have sick days for our physical health but not for our mental health.” Our society often forgets that our mental health can be just as debilitating as our physical health, yet there is still so much judgment. We need to start validating boundaries and the emotions of others around us.  

WHAT LEADS TO SUICIDE?

There are various factors that may lead someone to commit or attempt suicide. However, the main element is mental illness and poor mental health. “Depression is mostly related to suicide”, says Dr. Glenn. “Followed by other mental health conditions such as  PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, and Schizophrenia.” In addition, traumatic stress events and excessive or misusing substances can also drive a person to attempt or commit suicide

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS? 

“There are different factors of suicide at different stages: risk and warning,” Dr. Glenn states. Risk factors are characteristics or conditions of an individual that increases the likelihood that a person may try to take their life. Warning factors are crisis signs, for example when a person has major lifestyle and behavioral changes. Warning factors are the most concerning, especially if the new behavior is related to a stressful event, loss, or change.                                                                                                                                 

A risk factor could include

Provided by the IHS Program 

• Mental disorders, particularly mood disorders, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, and certain personality disorders
  • Alcoholism and other substance abuse disorders
  • History of trauma or abuse
  • Previous suicide attempt(s)
  • Hopelessness
  • Impulsive and/or aggressive tendencies

A warning factor could include

Provided by Dr. Glenn 

• Thoughts about harming themselves or committing suicide
  • Feeling like they are a burden 
  • Feelings of disconnect 
  • Feeling trapped and isolated
  • Feelings of depression and sadness
  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Withdrawing from family a friends
  • Extreme mood swings
  • New or more than usual substance usages
  • New or worsening Irritability 
  • Engaging in new or more risk-taking behavior (ex. Giving away possessions)

WHAT TO DO IF YOU NOTICE THESE SIGNS IN A FRIEND

Noticing any of these signs in anyone can be quite alarming. It is important that collectively, we all learn how to approach these types of situations and behaviors to help, support, and comfort one another. Each approach will be different depending on if it is a friend, family member, or peer. Dr. Glenn shares professional advice on how to address a friend who may be suicidal.

“Make sure to directly ask how the individual is doing/feeling. Directly ask those questions if they feel like they want to hurt themselves. It gives the person the opportunity to provide assistance and resources to their friend.” It is also important to remember that people who have suicidal thoughts, often fear those thoughts. They are trying to end the pain that feels unbearable. However, validating their feelings, showing your compassion, support, and encouraging them to talk can help them a lot. When you show care and concern towards the individual, it will make them feel appreciated. 

If your friend is at high suicide risk, meaning that they are showing multiple warning signs, have a plan for harming themselves, and a specific timeframe, they will need more help than what you can provide. In a serious situation like this, encourage them to reach out to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline or call 911. “You can also help them get connected to a professional and provide extra resources,” Dr. Glenn shares.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU NOTICE THESE SIGNS WITHIN YOURSELF

Noticing these signs within yourself can be just as frightening. If you’re thinking about suicide, your pain may seem overwhelming and permanent. Feeling suicidal does not mean that you are crazy, weak, or flawed. It simply means that you have more pain than you can cope with at the moment.  It is critical to be gentle and patient with yourself during difficult times. Because with time and support you will be able to overcome your battles and cope healthily . There are many different approaches to handling these signs safely and effectively.

Let someone know

This can be one of the most challenging yet most important approaches you can take. You could tell a family member, friend, teacher, therapist, or contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. Talking to someone and bringing awareness towards your feelings can help decrease the likelihood of you acting on your thoughts since you have the opportunity to be heard and express your feelings.

Make your environment safe

It is important to remove all possible hazards or dangers from your sight or reach that might influence you. If you are unable to do so, go to a place where you feel safe and comfortable. You may also contact a trusted individual for support.

Avoid drugs and alcohol

Engaging in drug and alcohol use will not benefit your thoughts or triggers. According to the  National Library of Medicine, alcohol and drugs often lowers inhibitions, disrupt concentration, and affect coordination. These effects will often exacerbate suicidal thoughts and make them more difficult to cope with. In addition, they can also manipulate the neurotransmitters that are responsible for your mood, judgement, and overall mental functioning. 

Make a safety plan

Develop steps to follow in the event  of a crisis. Include contact numbers of your family, friends, and trusted individuals. Include a therapist, local prevention hotline, as well as the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. It is also wise to have a safe space to go to so you can feel comfortable. Additionally, make a list of things that bring you joy. Even if few things bring you happiness, force yourself to write down and engage in the activities you used to enjoy. 

WAYS TO KEEP YOUR MIND HEALTHY

There are various ways we can actively work to maintain the health of our minds. Even the simplest self care acts can benefit our mental stability. Dr. Cassie Gleen provides a few skill sets to ensure we can keep our minds strong and healthy.

• Focus on Mindfulness. “It is important that we are paying attention to the present moment. The ideal with mindfulness is that we tend to feel a lot of distress when we are unable to stay or focus in the present moment. We either grieve about the past or worry about the future. However, in mindfulness, we focus on staying present.”
  • Yoga. Yoga is great for reducing stress and making your body feel strong. The slow movements and deep breathing can be beneficial to your mental wellbeing,
  • Meditation. Meditation provides mental balance and clarity. It assists in emotional regulation and is proven by Harvard Medical School that it eases anxiety, depression, and stress.
  • Nutrition. This may sound like a simple skill set, but food controls so many aspects of our body. You can eat a nutritious meal or your favorite comfort food that makes you happy. Either will fuel your body and make you feel strong and boost your mood.
  • Mindful Activities “You can partake in any daily activity in a mindful manner. For example, a mindful drive from work where you don’t stress or worry.” 
  • Adequate sleep. “We often take sleep for granted and could fall during periods of stress. It is critical to prioritize sleep for our mental and physical health. Engage in good practices before bed to have good quality sleep.” 
  • Knowing your limits. It is important to know when there are things you can handle on your own and when it’s time to get extra support and help. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Please remember that you are never alone and there will always be someone out there to help you.

resources

Suicide Prevention Hotline

1-800-273-8255

Old Dominion University Counseling

757- 683-4401 

for urgent assistance press #2

Free Online Support Group

HealthUnlocked.com

Hello everyone! I am a junior and the Editor-In-Chief for HerCampus at Old Dominion University. I’m a journalism major and psychology minor. I have a passion for health/wellness, mental health, and lifestyle. Whenever I am not writing you can find me practicing my violin or fueling my Starbucks addiction.