Culture > News

Black History Month Events In The 757

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Old Dominion University along with other places in the Hampton Roads area are hosting a multitude of Black History Month Events this February. If you are a student or local community member looking to engage and educate yourself this month, HerCampus ODU has you covered. Here are six local events to celebrate and embrace African American culture and heritage this Black History Month. 

Old Dominion University has an entire list of events open to students to choose from this month, but if any students of color need a mental health check-in–check out their CommUnity Conversations on Feb. 8 in the Big Blue Room at Chartway Arena. This event is only open to university students and focuses on mental wellness and self-care. ODU students can RSVP here

The Virginia Beach Bayside & Special Services library will be hosting the Afrofuturism Film Festival on Feb. 7, 21, and 28. Screenings of films that celebrate black characters are open to the public and registration is not required but it is recommended those attending be aged 13 and up due to the nature of the films. The library is also hosting several other Black History Month events, including a scavenger hunt, which you can see on their full calendar here.

In Williamsburg, you can paint your own Frederick Douglass Pottery Jar replica to take home! This event is open to ages 13 and up on Feb. 25. Space is limited, so call the Williamsburg Regional Library to register, and you can find that information here

If you are interested in poetry, there is a poetry brunch with poet Vivian T. Parker & other featured artists in Norfolk! The event will take place on Feb. 10 and include food, song, and of course, listening to poetry! You can get registered for the event here

If you are feeling artsy, Painting with a Twist in Chesapeake is hosting the Black History Month Ruby Heart paint night. This event is recommended for ages 6 and up. It takes place on Saturday, Feb. 26. You can register for the event here

Looking to get active? Mount Trashmore in Virginia Beach is hosting a Black History Month “Race Beyond the Dream” 5K Run/Walk on Feb. 25. This event is being hosted in order to raise funding for the Miss Juneteenth Virginia Scholarship Pageant. You can get tickets here

This February, we hope that you take the time to educate yourself on the importance of Black History Month, empower your friends, and enjoy some of the community-driven and informational events this month.

Hello! My name is Hali Sanders and I am the Editor-In-Chief of ODU HerCampus! Outside of HC, I am in our school's honors college, I work in orientation, and I am a proud cat mom. I am majoring in Communications with a minor in English!