Style > Beauty

What is Gua Sha and Why You Should be Doing it NOW!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Gua Sha is a type of folk technique that has been used in China for a long time, dating back to as far as the Paleolithic Age. Gua Sha translates to “scrape away.” In the past when people fell ill, stones were used to rub parts of their body to help alleviate — or scrape away — the symptoms of disease. This background plays into its present-day use, to circulate the blood in different parts of the face and body for rejuvenation.

The Gua Sha device that I use twice a day is a product from the line of SACHEU Beauty. This brand was started by a well-known YouTuber called Sarah Cheung. She is one of the most relatable Asian creators that I admire because she sounds like an older sister that I never had. Her channel’s content ranges from skincare and beauty to just having personal “girl talks.”  I have watched her since she first created her channel so I was excited when she finally released her own beauty line. 

Sarah’s Gua Shua is one of the most unique products in her line. She created a Gua Sha that would not trap bacteria by using stainless steel instead of traditional jade as other ones do. Jade and other minerals tend to be porous which cause bacteria to build up over time. She released her Gua Sha along with a face roller, but I prefer the Gua Sha tool.

In her next launch, she released Thick Skin, a serum that is meant to accompany the Gua Sha and the face roller. I have been using this serum for a couple of weeks and I must say,  I don’t think I will be able to live without it. This serum is non-irritating due to its short and simple list of ingredients. The serum helps create a slick surface for your Gua Sha to effortlessly run over your face. Additionally, it restores, replenishes, and restructures the lipid barrier within the stratum corneum or the outer layer of your skin.

Before using Thick Skin, I only used a serum to create a slippery surface for my Gua Sha that did not work very well since it quickly sunk into my skin upon application. The Thick Skin serum is infused with squalene which allows the surface of your skin to stay “slippery” for a longer time while you use your Gua Sha which helps prevent damage to your skin when using the tool. The serum melts into your skin beautifully and creates a fresh glow. 

When you use the Gua Sha, make sure to use the tool on lubricated skin as this is important to prevent drag and damage to your skin. Then, repeatedly press long strokes onto your face or body.

Over time, people have seen amazing results that leave their faces more contoured. If you want to look like you have prominent facial features like Bella Hadid, I recommend using this. However, don’t fall for the misconception that you can have a contoured face overnight. Gua Sha isn’t a miracle worker as it takes persistence and consistency.

Give it a few months. Before you know it, your face will be as snatched and your features will be striking.

Serena is a senior editor for the NYU campus. She is a rising senior studying economics and psychology. Her interests besides writing for Her Campus are keeping up with the latest high fashion trends as well as testing new beauty products. If you have any questions or just want to chat, hit her up on Instagram/TikTok @rens.nyc