Ways to Stay Safe During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We all look forward to a break, especially during the cold winter months. After midterms, there is no better way to relax than a spring break trip, especially with friends. But, while partying and having a good time, it can be easy to forget to be safe or make good choices. Here are some tips and tricks to help you stay safe!

1) Consider sharing your location via FindmyFriends or iMessage

There are plenty of ways to share your location, so consider sharing it for the duration of your trip with both your friends on the trip and at least one family member back home. It can give everyone peace of mind or simply help locate a stolen or missing phone.

2) Uber

While in Ubers or Lyfts, share your ride with friends and family. Some updated versions of the apps even let you set time limits, so if you want to share all rides between 10pm and 6am with certain contacts, it will automatically share your location with the trusted contacts that you designate.

3) Watch your drink

Sounds silly, but people can slip things into your drink so easily. Be sure to always keep an eye on your drink and have someone trusted watch it while you go to the bathroom. Or, better yet, take it with you.

4) Make copies of important documents

Especially if you are leaving the country, it is always a good idea to make a copy of all important documents and cards to have on hand. If something gets lost or stolen, at least you can still have a copy to refer to if you need to cancel a card or call an embassy for a new passport. It could also be suggested to leave a copy of the documents and cards with a trusted family member or roommate, just in case!

5) Share your travel itinerary

Again, especially if you are going out of the country, it is a good idea to share your travel itinerary with friends and family. For travel by air, train, and bus, this is important because things are delayed all the time! Also consider sharing the hotel or Airbnb that you might be staying in with a friend who isn’t on the trip with you.

Remember, have fun! But also, be cautious when going out. It would not be fun to have to deal with a stolen credit card or other annoyances on what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. Be safe!

Image Credits: 1/2/3

Originally Canadian, Supriya grew up in rural South Carolina before going to school in New York City. She currently studies Global Public Health and Nutrition with a minor in Public Policy. She is passionate about empowering young women and enjoys travelling, reading, and eating ramen with her friends!
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.