The Voice Behind NYC Catcallers Database

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

One block.

That’s how far the commute from my dorm to classes was when I attended a summer course at the New School last summer. Although I had barely any distance to cover, it was rare to go a morning without someone making a comment about me as I walked from 6th to 5th Avenue. Some construction workers made me feel uncomfortable as I walked by, so eventually my route took its course across to the other side of the street. It wasn’t as straight of a shot to class, but hey, at least I wouldn’t feel as if I were being scanned like airport security as I commuted. I hated how I had to go out of my way to feel safe going to class, almost as much as I hated being harassed. All I wanted was to get to class on time. I was not going to smile for some middle aged man I never knew, I was not going to answer to “hey baby” or “hey beautiful.” I was not, nor am I ever going to be, walking the streets of New York, or any other city, looking for attention from random men on the street.

I know I’m not alone in my sentiment toward catcalling. We are not animals being walked on the street, waiting to be pet by any man who wants to give us attention. No, that is not how it works. We are not seeking attention like cats or dogs. We are simply going about our day-to-day lives. More and more media light is being shone upon the issue of street harassment, most notably here in New York City. I’m so thankful for the awareness that’s being brought to this problem that almost every woman has experienced at one time or another. But attention doesn’t equate to change.

No woman likes being catcalled at. It’s objectifying and belittling: two feelings nobody welcomes with open arms (or legs, for that matter). As many times as women have been catcalled at, how often do they recognize the person who has shouted something rude or obscene in their direction? Probably never.  

That is what Steinhardt senior Danielle Garrand has decided to put an end to.

It all started when she posted a picture of a man who catcalled her to her personal Facebook profile. The photo drew 170 likes and completely surprised Garrand. She “had no idea it would peak so much interest and support.” With it sparked the idea for NYC Catcallers Database. Inspired by other women “who have found ways to fight back”, Garrand realized that “the act of taking a photo of your harasser feels like you are gaining some of the power back from him” after constantly feeling objectified on the street. With the page, she hopes to “put a face to the anonymous nature of catcalling and place the power back in the hands of the victims who are harassed.” Like almost all women, she believes that catcalling “is not a compliment and it needs to end.” The new Facebook page is what she hopes is a step toward the right direction.

Any gender-based issue is going to be followed with a whole slew of controversial comments that take both sides. I think we all remember when the catcalling video of a woman walking the streets of NYC was posted online and a guest on CNN believed he knew women better than they knew themselves. So of course, Garrand’s picture wasn’t received with 100% support. When two guys began arguing over her Facebook post, she believed it was losing its initial intention, which was to “raise awareness of this daily issue for women in metropolitan areas.” We all like hearing different sides of the same story, what views and opinions are held, but once the debate starts going in circles, it becomes a lost cause. She didn’t necessarily want to shame the man in the picture, she wanted to prove to everyone, especially catcallers themselves, that women “are not immune” and that these lewd comments won’t be accepted with a smile.

With all the buzz catcalling has been getting, as of late, I wanted to hear Garrand’s thoughts on the root of street harassment. Many experience some sort of bullying throughout schooling, but for these kinds of degrading comments to continue on well into adulthood is childish and unjust. Garrand said that she believes catcalling is a product of “the unequal world that is cultivated for the genders today”, making note of the wage gap not only between men and women, but women of color. Men still dominate the business world, subordinating women in the work field. The society we are living in “cultivates this unequal power dynamic through media and socialization” which, in turn, gives reason for men to show that “we [as women] are for their consumption.” I couldn’t have put it better myself.

I truly hope that the attention being drawn to catcalling gives rise to movements and projects such as NYC Catcallers Database. There’s been so much discussion and support toward ending harassment and I think that we are finally moving towards a solution for this issue. The best way for this kind of change to be brought on to the world is for people like Garrand to speak up and start making a difference. Let’s applaud Danielle for her efforts and hope that we can finally start putting an end to street harassment.

plant and music enthusiast from seattle
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.