The Torches Burned Bright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

“Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona, where we lay our scene.” As the barefooted friar opens the performance with this classic soliloquy, the audience is still, completely captivated by his words. As he gently takes the beautiful white bird that has flown on stage into his hands, he turns to the audience for one final line before the theater is enraptured with the sounds of Arabic music and the sight of flames. As the stage is lit up with torches, the scenery flies in from above and the tragic story of Romeo and Juliet commences.

Director David Leveaux’s revival of Romeo and Juliet, a true classic of William Shakespeare’s, opened on Thursday, September 19 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. Orlando Bloom, of The Lord of the Rings and The Pirates of the Caribbean franchises, is Romeo to Tony Award nominee Condola Rashad’s Juliet. The interracial casting of the two lovers paired with the interracial casting of the feuding families, provided a very compelling production. The portrayal of the two families as being racially divided added a unique element to the classic feud of the Montagues and the Capulets.

With casting by JV Mercanti, the actors were able to subtly add in this element without making it the main focus of the revival. While Bloom and Rashad were both exceptional, as was expected, supporting characters successfully stole the scenes from these starring actors on more than one occasion. Jayne Houdyshell, who plays Juliet’s Nurse, balanced comedy and tragedy throughout the show brilliantly through her interactions with the other characters. While Houdyshell mastered the comedic element, Roslyn Ruff went unrivaled in her role as Lady Capulet.

Lady Capulet is a powerful figure within the story. Having to deal with the loss of two loved ones, while maintaining an authoritative composure, requires a very skilled actress to play the part. The range of emotion expressed by Ruff convincingly portrayed a strong wife, a grieving mother, and a vengeful Capulet. The performance was extremely dynamic and intelligent.

While the powerful subtext and entrancing performances put the show at a high caliber, it was the design elements that pushed the show to its greatest potential. Scenic designer Jesse Poleshuck and lighting designer David Weiner along with Fabio Toblini for costumes and David Van Tiegham for music and sound, created a truly enticing setting for Shakespeare’s work. Desert sands combined with Arabian music and flaming torches pulled audience members into a completely different part of the world. The simple modern garb featured jeans, leather jackets, suits, and simple cotton dresses. It allowed audiences to reflect on modern times while hearing classic literature.

The tragic love of Romeo and Juliet is a love that has been represented time and time again on the stage. To witness how a powerful love between two individuals can be shrouded by the tragedy of their situation, there is not better play than Romeo and Juliet. “For never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo.”

Romeo and Juliet is currently playing at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on 46th street.  For tickets call Ticketmaster or visit http://romeoandjulietbroadway.com.

Photo Credit:
1, 2, 3, 4

Alyssa Dvorak is a Journalism and Sociology major in NYU's College of Arts and Science. Originally from Verona, Wisconsin, Alyssa has always loved the city and has found a second home in NYU's neighborhood. Her hobbies include writing, dancing, choreographing, and running. She is on NYU's Purple and White Dance Team and is also working towards a Dance minor. You can follow Alyssa on Twitter: @AlyssaDvorak. Alyssa hopes to ultimately be an entertainment journalist in New York City.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.