This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With our busy schedules, it’s easy to fall into a fashion rut, wearing the same outfit on repeat. Luckily, this season’s top trends can be incorporated into your wardrobe effortlessly. Inspired by NYC’s street style, here’s a round up of the best fall fashion trends.

1. Western Chic

Western Chic, a trend that hit fall runways in full swing, has now also hit the streets full force.The best part about this trend is it’s affordability and versatility. From bolo ties to cowboy boots, Gunne sax dresses and bandanas, this trend is adaptable to anyone’s wardrobe.

2. Oversized Sweatshirts

At this point, oversized items seem to be a wardrobe staple for any season. The best part about this trend is that it works with the unpredictable weather that is to be expected in the fall. A oversized sweatshirt will keep you warm during those chilly mornings, but luckily you also won’t die of heat exhaustion when it inevitably warms up in the afternoon.

3. Layers Upon Layers

One of the easiest trends to replicate is the Instagram aesthetic trend of layering fashionable, faddy pieces. All you need is a turtleneck, a few necklaces to layer, and maybe a ribbed crop top to replicate the chic minimalism of an Instagram blogger. The look is as simple to replicate as it is as stylish to wear.

4. Cropped Kicks

A style that has re-emerged with the current 2000s obsession is fashion-cropped pants – they have been everywhere for the past couple months! Whether they are from the iconic brand Dickie’s, which can be found at Urban Outfitters, or a neutral toned flared crop pant from your local thrift store, these pants are a staple not only for fall trends but also for your closet in general. Cropped pants are arguably more fashionable and definitely more universally flattering than the overrated jeans.

5. Prep It Up

Clueless vibes are making a huge comeback, as plaid prints have reemerged on nearly every article of clothing — from skirts to pants to scarves! Plaid is always a classic and makes for a clean look. Add a vinyl jacket as a fresh update to this understated, iconic style and give the look a little bit of flare.

We hope this guide inspires you to try out some new fashion trends this fall!

Image Sources: 1/2/3/4/5

Madison is a sophomore at New York University studying Art History and English Literature. When she is not writing a new article, she can be found buried in a book, roaming a museum, or sewing!
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.