This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’re like me, you may have a less-than-fun association with board games —  maybe you were forced to play drawn out games of “Monopoly” with your family on Sunday nights. Maybe rounds of “Cards Against Humanity” take you back to the late, humid nights of a summer camp bunk bed, leaving you hopeless about manufactured fun that comes packaged in a cardboard box. 

But, I’m here to tell you there are entertaining board games out there!

While we’re no longer on lockdown and warm weather is on the horizon, there are still many innovative ways to use board games as a bonding tool with a friend group, and maybe even tap into your competitive side. Some of these don’t exactly take place on a “board” per say, but playing on a new platform should only add to the excitement! Count on rainy skies, wine nights and post dinner party activities to use these five board games for a game night at your place, hopefully sparking your wonder in mass-produced joy once again.

“Codenames Pictures:” So Mysterious, So Avant-Garde

This popular Czech board game combines strategy and creativity as you try to decode your partner’s guesses for items on a board. The game works best with four people or more. As you divide up into teams — two teams of two at least — you’ll take turns making up clues for your teammates about the abstract illustrations on the board, and the first team to guess all of their clues correctly wins! If you can keep a secret and have a killer poker face, victory is yours.

“Tapple:” The Wordsmith’s Favorite

If you’re full of energy and want a more fast-paced game to amp up your crowd, “Tapple” is right up your alley. Two or more players are needed for this one, but the more players the better to really set the stakes high. Each player will choose a category and come up with a word in that genre, but the catch is, the word has to start with the letter displayed on the “Tapple” wheel, which will dwindle as other players choose those letters before you! This one really picks up the pace!

“Backgammon”: If You Consider Yourself a Purist

Backgammon is one of the oldest board games in existence, its history dating back almost 5000 years ago originating in Ancient Mesopotamia; but let me tell you, it has aged very well! The game is partially luck-based, but strategy can really take you to the next level. The goal is to move all of your game pieces from your starting position to your home board before your opponent does, but this will all lie in the outcome of the number on the dice you roll. Keep it classic and pull out this board game to teach your friends the ways of Ancient Mesopotamia.

“Snorta/Quack a-doodle Moo!”: Let’s Get Silly

Don’t be afraid to get a little ridiculous with this one, because “Snorta,” also known as “Quack a-doodle Moo!” is sure to send you into a laughing fit. Three to eight players are needed, and the goal is simple: each player is assigned an animal card and when their animal name is called, they have to make the sound of that animal before other players beat them to it. If you’re the last one to make the sound, you’re out of the round. Oink!

“We’re Not Really Strangers:” Keep Tissues at Hand

Maybe you want to slow the pace down and get a little deep with your friends — something difficult to do completely unprompted. “We’re Not Really Strangers” is the game that facilitates that, leading to an emotionally engaging and thought-provoking experience. Each card features a question or prompt that encourages players to share their thoughts and feelings and is divided into three levels — perception, connection and reflection. Warning: do not play this game unless you’re ready to feel extremely bonded to your game partners, and potentially shed a tear or two in the process!

Kat Samper is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and French. She currently resides in New York City but is originally from sunny Miami, Florida.