The 9 Best NYC Romcoms to Watch this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New York City is not just known as the City of Dreams for any reason. It contains an enticing fusion of diverse traditions, iconic cultural landmarks and imaginative people, creating a global metropolis where no aspiration seems too lofty. Part of its wellsprings of endless opportunities include discovering true love. So, it’s unsurprising that many of the most iconic romantic comedies occur in the Big Apple. 

The city’s dynamic charm and normalized anonymity allow for richer stories with cheesy yet endearing meet-cutes, grand adventures, lighthearted hijinks and shocking twists and turns that encapsulate the rom-com blueprint. 

As Valentine’s Day approaches, what better way to celebrate than to immerse yourself in a rom-com set in New York City? Whether you are spending the night with your significant other, vegging out with your friends during Galentine’s Day festivities or opting for a cozy night in by yourself, this roundup of quintessential NYC rom-coms will give you the romance boost you are looking for. 

“Set it up” (2018)

This Netflix film is a candid reflection of some of the struggles of the average New York worker in their 20s. It is about two overburdened assistants, Harper (Zoey Deutch) and Charlie (Glen Powell), who conspire to make their high-powered, irritable bosses fall in love with one another is a perfect example of a modern-day rom-com executed well. Deutch and Powell are dynamite on screen together, perfectly matching each other’s comedic energy, creating delightful angst and engaging in compelling banter missing from its contemporary counterparts.

“someone great” (2019)

This movie is another modern Netflix original that cracked the code of how to brilliantly execute a rom-com that does not rely heavily on clichés. After her long-term boyfriend breaks up with her the week before she leaves New York for her dream job, devastated Jenny (Gina Rodriguez) refuses to dwell and decides to have one last epic night with her best friends. Unlike most rom-coms, the love the film centers around is more about the love you find for yourself. It balances moments of levity and humor with those that pull on your heartstrings.  Don’t believe my words? Take it from Taylor Swift, who was inspired to write a song about the film.

“how to lose a guy in 10 days” (2003)

In this film, to win a jewelry campaign, an advertising executive (Matthew McConaughey) makes a bet with his boss that he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. Little does he know that the woman he chose, Andie (Kate Hudson), a journalist for a women’s entertainment magazine, is writing a piece about how to win over a guy and then scare him off in that same timeframe. In her quest to lose McConaughey’s character, Ben, Andie pulls bizarre shenanigans that will have you laughing until your stomach hurts. Hudson and McConaughey’s witty repartee transforms a technically good script into a timeless classic. The film is also a love letter to New York, bringing you to lively Knicks games and guiding you along peaceful ferry rides. 

“13 going on 30” (2004)

If you’ve ever fantasized about being a spiffy fashion magazine editor, look no further than “13 Going On 30as your next must-watch rom-com. In this fuzzy and tear-jerking film, when 13-year-old Jenna’s (Jennifer Garner) birthday party goes awry, her wish to be 30 and escape the constraints of teenagehood comes true. No rom-com is complete without a phenomenal soundtrack to accompany it, and this film is no exception with songs like “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield, “Vienna” by Billy Joel and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston to guide you along on the film’s emotional rollercoaster. The story tackles the tension between adolescence and adulthood and captures the notion that life is a journey, not a destination. Its relatability cements its legacy as a rom-com triumph.

“enchanted” (2007)

In this splashy musical rom-com, Princess-to-be Giselle (Amy Adams), from the fairytale land of Andalasia, must cope with the hardships of the real world when her fiancé’s evil stepmother sends her on the day of their wedding to New York City. Rather than adhering to the traditional fairytale formula, the film explores the revolutionary power of women in charge of their destinies and meeting men on equal terms. Adams and Patrick Dempsey have a spell-binding rapport with one another that will have your eyes glued to your screens.

“When harry met sally” (1989)

This classic movie basically takes you on a tour of the city’s most iconic landmarks like The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park. Arguably the best-friends-to-lovers blueprint, it follows the lives of Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan), who continuously run into each other after going their separate ways, afraid of falling in love with each other. While the plot centers around the idea of whether platonic relationships between heterosexual men and women can exist, it ultimately stresses how friendship is essential for a steady, enduring relationship. Harry’s cynicism balances Sally’s idealism to give this film its undeniable golden aura. Its endearingness is reinforced by classic love songs and Nora Ephron’s skillful writing, which provides a thrilling spin on the rom-com.

“You’ve got mail” (1998)

New York City is the centerpiece of the entire story arc of this romantic comedy where two email pen pals, Kathleen (Meg Ryan) and Joe (Tom Hanks), fall for each other online. But, unbeknownst to them, they are each other’s real-life bookstore competitors. The film transports you to the Upper West Side with scenes in the famous Cafe Lalo and the iconic specialty market Zabar’s. While its sectarianism creates a polished portrayal of the city, the believable conflict between the protagonists establishes a sense of groundedness and normalcy.

“saving face” (2004)

This gem spotlights queer people of color and tackles family strains and cultural taboos. It also portrays cultural clashes typical of the nation’s cultural capital. Young Chinese-American Wil (Michelle Krusiec) is afraid to tell her conservative mother, Hwei-lan (Joan Chen), that she is a lesbian and has entered into a public relationship with her girlfriend. After being disowned by her parents for getting pregnant, Wil’s mom moves in with her, forcing Will to confront her fears. The movie balances its humor with tender moments and intelligent social commentary, making it essential viewing.

“confessions of a shopaholic” (2009)

This movie, based on the novel series of the same name by Sophie Kinsella, is a must-see if you’re a fashion lover, as much of the filming took place along the legendary 5th Avenue shopping strip. When cheery shopping addict Rebecca (Isla Fischer) gets a wake-up call after discovering she is over $16,000 in debt, she gets a successful job as a financial columnist. Despite the cliché storytelling, darling Fischer and underrated 2000s heartthrob Hugh Dancy offer fun quips and cozy charm that make this rom-com a must-watch.

Hopefully, at least one of these timeless rom-coms will cement itself in your heart and make your Valentine’s Day one to remember. Happy watching!

Paige Ganim is a writer at the Her Campus at the New York University chapter. She is currently at junior who is majoring in Journalism and Sociology. Beyond Her Campus, Paige writes for NYU's fashion sustainability magazine, FFZine. She interned at Trill Mag from March to September 2023 where she wrote for the beauty, wellness, lifestyle, and culture sections and edited the lifestyle section. In her free time, Paige enjoys doing Pilates, drinking matcha, and reading rom-coms. She is passionate about writing stories about fashion, beauty, culture, and gender equality. She is obsessed with Taylor Swift and is the biggest "Out of the Woods" stan. She also loves re-watching Gossip Girl and wishes she was Blair Waldorf.