Sweater Weather: The Perfect Sweater for Every Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New Yorkers seemed a bit seasonally confused this September, breaking out the sweaters when it was still 75 degrees out. We’re all guilty of this – who can resist the temptation of an adorable, snuggly garment in your closet? Now that it’s getting cold though, it’s totally acceptable to wear them everyday! Avoid ever repeating an outfit with these tips on how to wear a variety of sweaters.

Wearing a collared shirt under a sweater is such a timeless look. If you’re trying to keep it conservative, try a dress shirt. Just hanging around the city? A denim button up keeps it casual. Add some edge with black leather skinnies (they’re flying off the shelves right now. I can vouch for them – the pair I own goes with anything). A chunkier necklace slipped under the collar will pull the look all together – and voila, two layers is all it took to become the chicest New Yorker on the block!

*Don’t forget the timeless red lip, of course.

Accompany your peppermint hot chocolate this winter with a baggy sweater. A solid color (such as the burgundy above) will be best complemented with a knit scarf for extra bundling up. Gold accessories are a definite to complete the holiday pallet, and the snow boots and mittens are accommodating, but extremely cute!

Got an internship? A sweater works then, too! Purchase a turtleneck sweater to keep it on the conservative side – with a blazer over it, you’ll appear even more mature. A long, but loose, black skirt with a small heel completes the classiness.

If you’re rushing to the gym between classes, this can be an easy change in the locker room.  A sweater with a busy pattern, followed by a chunky necklace for balance, will polish up a looser pant. Plus, harlem style pants (gathered at the bottom so they don’t look ridiculously goofy with sneakers) are great to throw on after a work out – they’re comfortable but still stylish.

Brighten up a gloomy, gray day with a neon sweater and floral pants. Winter doesn’t have to be all about blacks and browns. Just take it from Marc Jacobs – half of his line is fluorescent colors! Wearing oxford heels with your sweater will add a sweet and sophisticated touch to prevent the outfit from appearing too juvenile.            

Say bye-bye to peplum! These soft ruffles are long enough that they wont hug your curves, but instead they will lengthen your torso. An adorable headpiece, such as fuzzy earmuffs or a knit headband, will add weight on your upper half to avoid making their effect too overpowering. And riding boots are never a bad call, either.

Transform your favorite spring dress into winter-wear by layering a polka dot sweater over it. The dress hemline and the endearing pattern on top would be an A+ in Kate Spade’s eyes.  To finish it off, a charming ensemble such as this can be perfected with ballet flats and delicate tights.

You didn’t think we would skip this one, did you? This outfit is too well suited for exam mornings when your sleep is lacking, and the temperature outside is lacking even more. Cabin sweaters such as the one above are the ultimate cozy sweater – and are even toastier with an oversized t-shirt and leggings under it.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein 
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.