Study Abroad Diaries: Croatian Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Hey everyone, long time no see! I hope you guys had a great week. I know I haven’t updated in a while; I seriously underestimated the challenge of balancing school, travel and blogging. I’ve also been sick and was bedridden for a couple of days. However, last weekend I was able to recover from my flu in one of the most amazing places in the world. A group of 7 friends and I got on a tour bus and travelled 12 hours from Florence to Croatia for 3 days. Our first destination was Split, Croatia, where we stayed for most of our trip. Luckily, our hostel was located right in the heart of the Old Town. It is home to Diocletian’s Palace, a preserved Roman fortification, where Game of Thrones filmed Khaleesi’s throne room (and parts of the city of Meereen!) Walk a little further outside the Old Town, and you’ll reach a beautiful port and a number of Croatia’s bluest beaches!

On Saturday morning, our group woke up at 7:30, got into our bathing suits and hopped onto a boat which would take us to 5 different island locations throughout the day, including Blue Lagoon, Drvenik, and Ciovo Beach. I don’t think it’s possible for me to explain in words how incredible this island-hopping tour was, so I’ll just say this: at one point of the cruise, I was sitting on the edge of the boat with my back to the water, letting the wind blow my hair in wild directions. As I looked at the scenes around me, my friends dancing to music, turquoise waves lapping on the edges of our boat, I truly felt that there was no place I’d rather be. I was in paradise. 

Our last destination on our Croatian vacation was to Krka National Park to hike and experience its rare, natural environment. The park is filled with diverse plant and animal species and home to 17 stunning waterfalls, with heights up to 45 meters! The food in Croatia is different, but their fish is probably the best fish I’ve ever tasted. During lunch at the park, I ordered—for the third day of our trip—a freshly caught and grilled fish that tasted like absolute fish heaven. I’ll miss you, paradise!  

Note: this post was also published on Erin’s Manhattan Muses.  Check it and other great aricles by her out now!

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.