Street Style: Esther Hassel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.
Name: Esther Hassel
Spotted: Silver
Major: Media, Culture, and Communications
Year: 2014
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

HC NYU: Describe your personal style.
EH: I think it’s very masculine, but somehow sexy.  And I definitely like print and bold colors.

HC NYU: What makes it masculine?
EH: The cut; the cut matters.  I like appropriating menswear and making it fit.  Like what I’m wearing now, these skinny jeans, is something that a guy could totally wear.  But the things I pair it with and how it’s styled, it works.

HC NYU: So give us some insight on how Brooklyn fashion differs from Manhattan fashion?
EH: Well, as time goes by the difference becomes less noticeable since gentrification is getting huge.  There are hipsters in Brooklyn, but really they’re people from Manhattan moving into Brooklyn, so there’s an assimilation of style between the two. 

HC NYU: Are you drawn to any brands in particular?
EH: I’m not.  If I like something, I buy it.  I’m not a brand monger.  These [shoes] I bought when I was in Italy with this school, and they were from this random shop.  I saw them and I was like “Oh, these are so cool!”  They’re like slip-ons, but brogues.  I also thrift; you can find pieces with better silhouettes.  Like you know they were some eighty year-olds’s pants, but they work!  This one time I bought these really high mom-pants– not high-waisted, but with the button right on the belly-button– and I just thought “I like.”  

HC NYU: Excited for any particular items for the warmer weather? 
EH: Well I’ll be in Europe or summer, and I’ll definitely be showing off the leg.  Dresses, skirts, shorts…all with heels.  I like a long leg, for sure.  
Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.