From Stage to House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Second is the best isn’t the case for Idol and Congress candidate Clay Aiken’s career. Aiken, most popularly known as American Idol’s runner up to season 2 winner Ruben Studdard, has once again been beat out for the crown, but this time in politics.

Farewell blonde tip-dyed spikey do, you’ll live in our memories forever! 35 year-old politician Aiken (versus 23 year old pop star Aiken) switches out his songs for speeches as he recently ran for, and was beat out for, Congress in his home state of North Carolina. But unlike his time in American Idol, this race wasn’t very close. Defeated by Republican Renee Ellmers, Aiken must face the fact that America loves him on the sidelines. Though I am just as confused and amused by this as you, I have to give him credit for his determination and loyalty to his home state instead of running off to California and continue a music career that may (or may not..who knows? Anything’s game now) be reached it’s heigt. In all honesty, it’s not like this hasn’t happened before – Ronald Reagan the actor to Ronald Reagan the President, buff terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger to governor of California. As much as I’m giggling about the irony, I have neither come second in American Idol nor a Congressional race, so I’ll give ya that one Clay.  

What I do not feel bad laughing about at all is that fact that his journey in the Congressional campaign was filmed and is being made into a mini series on Esquire network (want to see for yourself? Click ‘mini series’). Even though I shamelessly keep up with the Kardashian’s and shape my life around Guiliana and Bill, I can’t promise you I’m going to watch this one. But I’m intrigued enough to read the morning reviews, mainly because I admire his perseverance.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.