Ryan Ott: A Low-Key Brandy Melville Model That Loves Jazzy Rap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Brandy Melville has recently become all the rage among teenage girls. Between the reasonable price point of their clothes, to their trendy, simplistic dresses, sweaters, and graphic t-shirts, college students everywhere flock to Brandy as their go-to store. But it isn’t just the clothes, either. The girls who work at Brandy Melville photoshoot their clothes on the scene, making their brand seem even more desierable, or dare I say it? ~Hip~. NYU student, Ryan Ott, is just one of those girls.

The Deets:

• Name: Ryan Ott
  • Hometown: Rye, New York
  • School: Steinhardt ’19
  • Major: Media, Culture, and Communications
  • Favorite Movie: Requiem for a Dream
  • Favorite Food: The bread bowl soup from Kimmel
  • Favorite Book: Running With Scissors
  • Favorite Music: Everything-besides country, EDM, and metal. Her absolute favorite is jazzy rap music such as Future.
  • Favorite Current Style Trend: Trench coats. Her long, furry cheetah print coat is her favorite clothing item for the fall.
  • Other Likes: Geography- she can name every European countries capital all by memory. She also LOVES stand up comedy.

HCNYU: When did you start working at Brandy Melville?

RO: I started working there the summer after my senior year to make some money before going to college.

HCNYU: What are the best parts about working at a Brandy store?

RO: The other girls are really great to work with and the work environment is really fun and relaxed. The stores always have good music playing and we are all having a good time while we work. The hours are also really good, and I loved being around clothes all day – plus the discount is really nice. Also, for me personally, it was good experience for me because of the career I want to pursue- wholesale retail.

HCNYU: Is there anything you did not enjoy about working there?

RO: Yeah, sometimes the customers were not the sweetest girls. I had one girl harass me a little about my boyfriend at the time while I was training at the register. She was really rude, but that incident became a joke at the store all summer.

HCNYU: What is it like to model for them?

RO: It’s pretty easy. All you have to do is put on their clothes and go to a cool place in the city and have the photographer do the rest basically. It’s not as hard as many girls might think.

HCNYU: What made you choose NYU?

RO: I chose NYU because the city is my home and I couldn’t imagine studying anywhere else. There are also so many opportunities here.

HCNYU: What is your favorite part about attending NYU?

RO: My favorite part is that there are so many things to do and new places to explore.

HCNYU: What is your least favorite part?

RO: I think my least favorite part would have to be how easy it is to get lost in such a big school.

Check out NYC’s two Brandy Melville Locations: 44 Prince Street and 499 Broadway

Follow Ryan on Instagram: @ryanottfanaccount

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein