Pop Superstar Ke$ha Releases Photographic Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Notorious for the dollar sign in her name and her affection for glitter, Ke$ha could not be happier with her “Crazy Beautiful Life”.

In her photographic memoir, My Crazy Beautiful Life, Ke$ha chronicles her life starting with her childhood, to her rise to fame, to her current status as pop star, and everything in between.  Pictures fill every page of the book, showing images of Ke$ha onstage, pre-fame, with friends, with fans, and traveling the world.

The “Die Young” singer speaks of her childhood in California with her single mother and older brother, crediting that time with helping her become the person who she is today.  Some of her earliest memories include watching her mother, Pebe Sebert, a singer-songwriter for artists including Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash, open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Writing music remains one of Ke$ha’s favorite part about her job, and she gives credit to her mother for teaching her how to tell a story through music.

Before Dr. Luke – who, at the time was an up-and-coming music producer! – contacted Ke$ha to work with him, she lived the life of an average, albeit rebellious, teenager.  Extremely studious, she was accepted into several Ivy League schools, but chose to put further education to the side in order to pursue a career as a singer.  

From breaking into Prince’s house to give him a copy of her CD to telling P. Diddy in a restaurant that she is going to be the next big thing, Ke$ha has never been afraid to do whatever she needed to get whatever she wanted.  She hopes to inspire people through her music that they can stand up for themselves and never be afraid to be who they are.  She says: “I’m still a misfit and I will always stand up for people who feel that they don’t fit in.  I hope that my music and my shows motivate people to be themselves and speak freely, always.”

The “Tik Tok” singer says that one of her proudest accomplishments to date is her role as the first global ambassador to the Humane Society International.  Her love of living creatures has led her to give the nickname “Animals” to her fans.

With her sophomore full length album, Warrior, set for release on December 4th, Ke$ha hopes that this album will live up to the previous ones and maintain her position as a pop star.  Ke$ha promises that the music on this album will be influenced by seventies rock and have a positive message behind the lyrics.  As her life has changed over the past few years, so has her music.  While her first album, Animal, was inspired by her fun loving attitude, Warrior represents someone who has “been challenged but stayed true to himself or herself”.

Throughout everything in her life, Ke$ha only has to say this: “This is my dream.  This is the only thing that I have been put on this earth to do, and this is just the beginning.”

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.