Packing Light (and Other Spring Break Travel Tips)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With Spring Break coming up, we can finally stop worrying so much about midterms and start planning for a much deserved break. While staying in NYC is never a bad idea, lots of people are choosing to hop on planes and make their way to somewhere a little warmer instead. With that, however, comes a certain amount of pre-travel stress. While I was abroad last semester, I realized just how important it is to be able to pack quickly while making sure to only bring the things you will absolutely need. So, to help save you some stress and extra baggage fees, I’ve put together a few tips to make your travels efficient, easy and enjoyable.

1. Bring half of the things you think you need

One of the biggest things I hear people worrying about when they’re trying to pack for a trip, especially if they’re only bringing a duffel bag or backpack, is how they’re going to fit all the things they need to bring. The thing is, we tend to feel like we need more than we do in reality. My solution to this is to categorize everything you intend on packing and lay it on your bed in piles. Then, go through each pile and choose half of it to actually pack. So if you had a pile of four pairs of pants, bring two. At the moment, it might seem like you’re leaving really important things behind, but usually those are the things you probably won’t even end up touching. Obviously there are exceptions to this like underwear, socks, contacts, etc., but at the very least, going through your things and trying to leave half at home will make you think a lot more critically about what you’re taking with you.

2. Look up luggage restrictions

Regardless of your mode of transportation, there are probably rules about what you’re allowed to bring and how big your bags can be. Rules tend to more lenient on trains, so if you’re traveling by train, you probably don’t have to worry quite as much about restrictions. For people traveling by plane, however, there are a lot of rules you’ll need to follow. The most standard, and probably most well-known restriction has to do with the amount of liquid you’re allowed to carry with you. For those of you who may be a bit unsure: all liquids in your carry-on bag must be less than three ounces each and have to fit in a single, quart-sized zipper bag. Sometimes they hand these out at airports, but it’s best to just be prepared and have them packed ahead of time. If you have liquids with a volume greater than three ounces, they’re allowed in your checked baggage. If you have other items that you’re not sure are allowed, download the “My TSA” app to check ahead of time.

Personally, to save yourself some money on expensive baggage fees, I suggest that you bring only a carry-on (perhaps a backpack or a duffel bag). This can be more difficult, because you typically have to bring a lot less, but it will not only save you money, but will also make your travel experience smoother by eliminating the need to drag big suitcases around if your flights don’t match up with your hotel check-in times. Whether or not you decide to take a checked bag, it’s important to look up carry-on size restrictions to avoid having to check your carry-on last minute. Usually budget airlines are a lot stricter about enforcing these regulations, but you never know which airlines may have strict attendants at the gate.

3. Make sure your necessities are organized and easily accessible

This tip may come across as rather obvious, but can be easy to forget, despite the fact that it’s probably the most important step to remember when travelling. Make sure you have, in one easily accessible place: your passport, ID, plane tickets, travel itinerary and anything else you might need during your travels or immediately upon arrival. In addition, make sure medications, electronics and any other valuables or necessities are packed in your carry-on bag in case your luggage gets misplaced.

4. Don’t stress too much.

Things go wrong sometimes, and that’s completely normal and is part of the travel experience itself. Though obviously you’d rather have everything go according to your plan, there’s always room for small mistakes or flight delays, some of which may be beyond your control. Simply put, make an effort to avoid problematic mistakes for the sake of saving time and money, but don’t forget to enjoy your travel journeys and most importantly, Bon Voyage!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.