This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

At the beginning of September this year, we all had one thing in common: school starting up again. In fact, a certain universe also had the same thing in common, and on September 1st, the Hogwarts Express was back on its way. During the beginning of the month, TikTok had a rise in Harry Potter-related skits posted onto the platform, and everyone became nostalgic for the series again. However, one character seemed to stand out to all fans new and old (also managing to steal hearts as well): the foil to the main character, Draco Malfoy. In the movies, Draco was the school bully and would go around in his free time, taunting Harry and his friends anytime he could. His main goal was to make his life miserable out of his jealousy towards Harry for not wanting to be friends with him in their first year. As the total opposite of the main hero, Draco Malfoy is in Slytherin, the main house where dark wizards come from like Lord Voldemort. Later in the series, in order to make up for a misdeed his father committed against Voldemort, Draco is given a mission to kill his school’s headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, or else his and his family’s life would be on the line. This is where people begin to side with the rival of Harry Potter as he begins to show his vulnerable side and that there is a little good in him. He ultimately fails to complete this task as his conscience shows that Harry and his allies are the future of the wizarding world, and they will be the ones to take down the Dark Lord.

You may now be wondering what all of this has to do with the phenomenon of #dracotok going on all over TikTok. Over a couple of weeks of last month, thousands of users shared more and more videos of this beloved character. Outside watchers all showed sympathy for him and began to celebrate him. Creators then started making funny and clever videos all in the Harry Potter universe. Some of them have to do with interactions with all the other beloved classmates, house-themed videos, and character outfit trends. One huge trend that spread from just TikTok was the “Narcissa” hairstyle. Narcissa Malfoy is Draco’s mother and introduced in the sixth movie, she flaunts a hair color that is half black with white highlights covering the rest of the do. Soon enough, everyday people outside of Tiktok who haven’t even seen the films or read the books were dying their hair in honor of the character’s ‘do that she rocked. Draco Malfoy actor, Tom Felton, has even caught on and is now taking over the platform by duetting some of his favorite TikToks dedicated to the untimely role he played for which he appeared in the whole franchise for a grand total of 30 minutes. To put in perspective, all 8 films come up to about 19 hours and 40 minutes. The fact that he was able to flip everyone’s “for you page” for two months based on a project he completed almost ten years ago proves that former Potterheads’ belief in magic is still strong.

Hi my name is Egesi Iheduru and I am originally from Phoenix, Arizona but am now studying Psychology and Cinema Studies at New York University! I love to watch all types of movies, ranging from indie art films to superhero franchises (forever Team Marvel!). Some of my hobbies include cheerleading, gymnastics, singing, and shopping at the mall. In the near future, I see myself working in either political psychology or screenwriting/acting in feature films. I'm very excited to be joining Her Campus to share some of my wisdom I've learned throughout my college experience.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.