Style > Beauty

My Favorite Sunscreens (With Skin Tone Inclusivity!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There is nothing I like better than a good sunscreen. I have tested over 20+ sunscreens and these are my top recommendations, all of which are good for a variety of skin tones. 

Solid & Striped All Over Sunscreen SPF 30

If you know Solid & Striped, you probably know them for their swimwear, but let me tell you their sunscreen is just as bomb! Throw your Neutrogena away because this sunscreen is it. This sunscreen will not leave a prevalent white cast on your skin. Additionally, this one is not sticky, which is perfect for your trip to the beach. 

Cardon SPF 30

This is a brand targeted towards men but honestly, sunscreen is unisex. This sunscreen provides you with a sheer coverage and will melt right into your skin and suits everyone. You can also share it with your boyfriend. This sunscreen does come with a bit of a scent. The sunscreen has a light aftershave scent, but you know what, I’m okay with that. It smells like the boyfriend I never had. The container is small and chic and fits perfectly into my on-the-go bag. I have taken this sunscreen EVERYWHERE. 

Coola Mineral Sun Silk Creme SPF 30/Sun Silk Drops SPF 30/BB + Skin Tint SPF 30  

I tested all three and I think I have come to the conclusion that Coola is THE go-to sunscreen brand. How should I describe this sunscreen, I think their names speak for themselves. All the sunscreens have a very lovely consistency. They are very light, melt right into your skin, and leave your skin with a dewy finish. All of Coola’s sunscreen comes in a beautiful glass bottle. Not only are their products amazing, but they are also very photogenic and will look amazing sitting on your bathroom vanity.

iS Clinical Eclipse SPF 50+/ Extreme Protect SPF 30

You know anything by iS Clinical is going to be great because this is what many professionals use. You may recognize this brand as being one of the few that estheticians and spas use often during facials. After trying their sunscreen, I can confirm that the pros are right. These two sunscreens feel like a typical sunscreen as it is on the heavier side, but regardless, they still blend into your skin seamlessly, which means this is still very suitable for anyone with more melanated skin.  

Jack Black Oil Free Sun Guard SPF 45

I love this for anyone with oily skin. I have used Jack Black moisturizer during the dark days fighting extreme acne and it has not let me down. This sunscreen feels like sunscreen and moisturizer all in one. I can’t explain the texture but this sunscreen is somewhere in between a gel and a cream. It moistures while protecting your skin. For anyone who wants a very simple daytime skincare product, this is it. 

Biore UV Watery Essence SPF 50+

We can’t talk about skincare without mentioning a good Asian beauty find. I feel like Asia is where “non-chalky” sunscreens originated from. Biore is a best seller in Japan and this honestly comes as no surprise.  This sunscreen has consistently been a top seller in Japan. This sunscreen leaves no white cast, no shiny finish, and is very very light. This is a basic sunscreen at an affordable price point. What is there not to like?

Suntegrity Impeccable Skin SPF 30 (multiple shade range)

I am very surprised by the consistency of this sunscreen. This sunscreen is incredibly smooth on the skin. When applied, it leaves the skin with a very even and mattifying finish. This product is like if the Glossier skin tint and a hydrating cream had a baby. That is what this is like. With many shades, this product will not leave any white cast on your skin. Compared to the Coola skin tint, this one will provide you with coverage. I highly recommend it! 

Sobel SkinRX SPF 50

If you have sensitive skin, you are going to like this sunscreen. This is the latest sunscreen that I have been testing out. If you read my previous post, this is the sunscreen that I interviewed Dr. Sobel for. I am honestly in love with this formulation, I mean what can you expect from a sunscreen formulated by a top dermatologist? If you have sensitive skin and acne-prone skin like me, this is the one for you. This sunscreen is cruelty-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, is mineral-based, and is suitable for all skin types! I personally have had no issue with any white cast with this one, as this product is so sheer on the skin. This has been my go-to at the moment!

I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to use sunscreen. However, shopping for sunscreen can be very overwhelming. Make sure to choose a sunscreen with a formulation that not only ensures protection for your skin but that best suits your skin type and tone.

Serena is a senior editor for the NYU campus. She is a rising senior studying economics and psychology. Her interests besides writing for Her Campus are keeping up with the latest high fashion trends as well as testing new beauty products. If you have any questions or just want to chat, hit her up on Instagram/TikTok @rens.nyc
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu