Kim Gordon Talks About Artistry and Badass-ery In Her New Memoir, Girl in a Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Kim Gordon is, in my opinion, the ultimate and OG cool-girl. Name not ringing a bell? Ever play guitar hero? Remember that song “Kool Thing,” by the band Sonic Youth? That’s her voice and her band right there. 

Gordon, now 62, provided those unmistakable vocals and her ex-husband, Thurston Moore provided the guitar playing. Sonic Youth became an iconic band that excelled not only in producing excellent avant-garde rock tunes, but also in exploring the intersection of art-as-performance. Their philosophy was that the two could and should be in conversation with each other, and by mixing these two mediums, you can get some pretty interesting and cool music. Oh, and also gain a HUGE cult following.

While Gordon may be bona-fide rock-star, her work isn’t cold and cocky, rather it’s incredibly refreshing and sweetly written. Her story is one of kicking serious ass in band, finding and subsequently losing love, as well as experiencing lower New York pre-gentrification.

Understanding what exactly it means to be a “girl in a band,” is a grand theme that recurs throughout the entirety of her journey. The questions of sexism, owning one’s sexuality, and marketing a band into the mainstream that has alternative roots are explored and given thoughtful, well-developed responses.

Gordon also knows and mentions a TON of incredibly awesome and famous people. Names like  Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain, along with some pretty influential art dealers are dropped casually and spontaneously.

It seems like this work was quite difficult, yet incredibly cathartic to write. She opens up entirely about forming a life, a career and a family with Moore, but also about leaving love and moving forward.  Gordon is the humble bad-ass that every girl should look up to.

You can purchase Girl in a Band here. 

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.