Iconic Things To Do This Winter in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s winter, one of the most controversial seasons of the year. Sometimes it’s hard to decide whether you actually hate the winter because of the freezing temperatures and messy snow storms or if you love it because it gives you an excuse to consume insane amounts of hot chocolate, wear your favorite sweaters, celebrate your favorite holidays, and even stay in. Whether you’re a fan or not so much of a fan of winter, here are some festive things to do this winter in the big apple to help you get in the holiday spirit. 

Visit the Rockefeller Tree

As cliche as it sounds to a fellow New Yorker, there’s something nostalgic and jolly about the annual lighting of the Rockefeller Tree. Every year, the decorations still manage to be breathtaking, and it’s a sight to see so many tourists and families completely fascinated and filled with Christmas spirit. It’s also perfect for photos if you’re lucky enough to avoid the immense crowd of people and actually get a chance to take one.

Union Square Holiday Market

The Union Square Market is perfect for some last-minute shopping and if you want to pick up unique gifts for friends and family. A majority of the stands are run by local artists. They have different gifts from jewelry, hats, artwork, graphic tees, to New-York inspired products. In addition to this, there are killer food booths if you want to grab a bite while you’re shopping. 

Go Ice Skating

Ice skating has to be one of my favorite winter activities, especially in New York City. Who wouldn’t want to make a fool of themselves and fall on the ice with skyscrapers in the background? Some rinks that are popular with tourists are Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park’s Wollman Rink. 

The Holiday Village in Bryant Park 

The Holiday Village is similar to the Union Square Market since they both have food stands and exceptional gifts. The difference is that the Holiday Village surrounds the ice rink in Bryant park which gives it more of a holiday charm. They even have a lodge with a variety of foods from different NYC restaurants to choose from. In addition, there is a “Santa’s Corner” in case you feel like you’re not too old to get a picture with Santa. 

The LuminoCity Festival

On Randall’s Island, there is a stunning display of lights and Christmas decorations that depicts the perfect winter wonderland. There is a range of displays from stunning Christmas trees to castles to mythical, ethereal scenes. The festival also has a holiday market where you can find more food kiosks than actual kiosks for shopping. This festival is perfect for virtually any event from a family outing, a cute date, or an opportunity to take amazing photos with friends. 

Winters can be harsh with its unappealing, bitter cold and grey weather. But, if you think about it, there are some good things about the winter: the numerous holidays, holiday-themed drinks, and beanies. You can make the most of this season by partaking in little activities and experiences to help you celebrate it. 

Images courtesy of Pexels.

Currently a Junior at New York University studying English literature and Creative Writing. Loves a good book, cheap fitness classes, and a lava cake here and there.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.