Style

I Tried the Warby Parker Home Try-On Program and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Choosing the perfect frames can be one of the hardest style decisions you’ll have to make — the color, shape, width, and general fit for your nose bridge are all super important factors to consider when deciding on a new pair. Personally, I have often found myself feeling pressured at my go-to eyeglass store with the salesperson watching me as I spent excruciatingly long minutes looking at different models. At the end, I sometimes ended up picking a style that I didn’t 100% love. If you can relate to the struggle of finding your perfect pair of glasses, the Warby Parker Home Try-On may just be the solution for you.

The first step to the Home Try-On Program is getting onto the Warby Parker website, ticking off “Available for Home Try-On,” and picking out five frames for your customized trial box. If you’re the type of person that gets overwhelmed by too many options, Warby Parker conveniently provides a quiz that picks out the ideal frames for you based off of your quiz answers. After choosing your five frames, you can simply check out and wait for your (free!) package. The delivery process was, at least in my case, quick and easy: I received my order confirmation on August 30, my shipping confirmation on August 31, and received the box on September 4!

Once you’ve received your package, you are allowed five days to keep the glasses and try them out as you please. They provide you with a return label, so the return process is also quick and easy. I spent about one to two days trying out the glasses and figuring out which felt the most comfortable — I even took to Instagram and posted selfies with my top two candidates (something I definitely wouldn’t be able to do in an actual store with the salesperson watching me!). The styles I thought would look good on me surprisingly looked a bit off, and the styles I thought wouldn’t look good on me actually complimented my facial structure much better: had I not been able to try the frames on at home, I probably would have blindly bought the wrong frames for me. Luckily, I found a winner out of my five frames, and placed an order immediately after wrapping up and dropping off the return package in my nearest mailbox (Note: if you happen to try the program out but fail to find a winner on your first try, you can order another Home Try-On package again for free!).

The shipment for the final order took longer than the Home Try-On due to the frames actually having lenses with a prescription. Warby Parker messaged me almost immediately after my order, recommending their high-index lenses as they noticed my strong prescription. Although I was skeptical at first, after skimming through some online reviews, I figured that it’d be a good investment as thinner lenses are usually more aesthetically pleasing. Plus, the Warby Parker price was a fraction of the cost of special lenses at many other stores. After my order confirmation on September 4, I received the shipping confirmation a week later on September 11, and funnily enough received the package on the same day! My shiny new glasses came in a Warby Parker glasses case and included a cleaning cloth.

All in all, I would 100% recommend trying out the Warby Parker Home Try-On Program the next time you need a new pair of glasses. It not only allows customers to truly explore their options before committing with nothing in return, but also provides customers with high quality yet cost-efficient products if they choose to commit. It’s free, fast, and effortless — what do you have to lose?

Images courtesy of Warby Parker and Jamie Kim.

Jamie is a senior at New York University majoring in Media, Culture, and Communication. Born and raised in Queens, she has always felt a deep connection with New York and eventually ended up attending both high school and college in the city. Some of her favorite things to do when she's not writing up her next piece include playing with makeup, reading a good book (her 2019 reco is Haruki Murakami's 1Q84), and talking about astrology (shout-out to any fellow Scorpios). After graduation, she hopes to continue her career in both the beauty and public relations/influencer marketing industries.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.