How To Do New York Fashion Week As A Nobody

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

For one week every six months, Manhattan is taken over by street style starlets, celebrity sightings, and an island-wide fight to have the most enviable instagram feed — well, more so than usual, that is. For the uninitiated, New York Fashion Week can seem totally glamorous and exclusive, even a bit of a mystery. For veterans, Fashion Week is a week-long workathon that may as well be re-written as “Fashion Weak.” But for those of us in the happy middle, Fashion Week is an exhilarating opportunity to learn, network, and take part in some of the most exciting events in the country.

One year ago, I was watching the spectacle from the sidelines at home in the Midwest and dreaming of the day that I would get to watch an NYFW show in person, breathing the same air as Anna Wintour, Eva Chen, and Leandra Medine. Although I’m not exactly sitting front row these days, I know how to make the best out of Fashion Week no matter where I’m standing — from outside of the venue to backstage.

By virtue of going to college in NYC, there are countless opportunities to take part in Fashion Week even if you aren’t a fashion editor or an A-Lister. Here are just a few ways to do NYFW as a nobody — who knows, maybe you’ll become a “somebody” along the way.

1. Apply to cover an NYFW show for Washington Square News’ Features section.

This is the first method on the list because this was my window into the world of NYFW. Between the paper’s mandatory Fashion Week bootcamp that teaches you essential protocol and the prospect of nabbing a backstage pass, taking a journalistic approach to NYFW can give you an all-encompassing experience. Last season I worked up the nerve to approach the head designer of the show I was covering and interview her, and this season I had a backstage pass and got to meet (and swap Instagrams with) all of the designers and models at the show. Simply sign up for emails from the Features section at WSN and fill out the Google Survey when NYFW is approaching. And remember, you don’t have to be a writer — photographers are always needed!

2. Grab a DSLR (or a friend with one) and linger outside of show venues.

Creepy or ballsy? My vote is on the latter. For some reason, if you go to a high-profile event in all black and carry a camera that at least looks professional, street style photographers and photojournalists will accept you as one of them and let you share the run of the sidewalk as celebrities and industry VIPs walk in. In fact, if you go with a friend or two, you can probably pull this off without a camera. Sure, this method may not get you inside of any venues (although some shows don’t check credentials, so if you feel like testing your chances…) but you’ll definitely see some incredible outfits and maybe even a few of your heroes. This is also a good chance to network with other photographers and promote your blog if you have one, so remember to be professional. Now that NYFW is no longer exclusively at Lincoln Center, this method involves a little more digging and a lot more traveling, but isn’t that half the fun of Fashion Week?

3. Volunteer with NYFW or intern with a designer.

This season I got to see NYFW from a completely different side–backstage. After replying to a listing on good ‘ol NYU CareerNet, I began working for Rodarte as an NYFW intern. Not only have I learned more than I thought possible about styling, but I also had the chance to watch one of the most anticipated shows of the year come together and actually make things happen from backstage. I was already familiar with the backstage process from reporting on shows, but getting to be in a studio and work closely with couture, models, and stylists has given me a completely fresh perspective. I’ve sacrificed my sleep and my weekends, but it’s worth it to see a photo of the show on Vogue.com and think, “I took part in making this happen!” You can also volunteer with Mercedes Benz Fashion Week itself and help with venue preparation.

4. Scour your connections for spare tickets.

It’s true that most people are better-connected than they realize, and this is especially true at NYU. Here at NYU, ask around in Gallatin or check in with relevant exploration floors. Fashion students at Parsons and FIT often have the opportunity to receive or purchase tickets from their schools, so if you have friends at either institution, you can ask them to snag something for you. On that note, keep one important thing in mind: unless the person giving you tickets paid money for them, you should never pay for NYFW tickets. I cannot stress this enough. Shows are marketing tools and tickets are sent as invitations–why on earth should you pay for something that is free?

No matter which path you take, remember that NYFW doesn’t have to be exclusive, but still respect your place in an environment where most of the people around you are working. Appreciate every moment and enjoy this rare, stunning glimpse into the future.

Features Editor at HC NYU. Loves coffee and clothes.
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein