How to Battle the Mid-Term Blues and Stay Healthy this Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

An Apple A Day May Keep the Strokes Away!

Eating more white-fleshed fruits and vegetables may decrease your chances of having a stroke, according to a Dutch study published in the journal Stroke.

The study followed 20,000 adults over a course of 10 years. Results showed a diet rich in white-fleshed fruits and vegetables reduced their risk of a stroke by 52 percent.

This is one of many studies conducted to evaluate how valuable a fruit or vegetable’s  color is to our health. Not to mention the research is a great incentive to pack a pear or apple as a snack everyday!

Doctors do maintain that until more studies reveal conclusive information people should strive for a well-balanced diet of fruits and vegetables along with daily exercise.

Run That Migraine Off!

Exercise goes well beyond strengthening our bodies and keeping our hearts healthy–it may even ward off migraines better than medication does, shows a new study.

Researchers at the Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology at the University of Gothenburg found regular exercise prevent and alleviate migraines almost as well as medication does.

The leading medication for treating migraines,Topiramate showed to improve the severity of the migraines a bit more than exercising and relaxation therapy. But exercising and relaxation therapy do not yield the side effects Topiramate does, which include constipation and even a depressed mood.

Although aerobic exercise may help decrease the duration and frequency of migraines, the Bastyr Center for Natural Health warns exercising during a migraine may worsen it.

Is The Pill At Fault for A Boring Lover?

He’s the perfect boyfriend. Perfect in every area except for one–in bed.

Well you may be able to blame it on the Pill.

Scientists say taking the contraceptive steers women more towards choosing a steady lover rather than a seemingly unreliable or dangerous one.

The hormones in the contraceptive tap into a woman’s evolutionary need to choose a mate who is most suitable for fatherhood rather than for pleasure.

The study published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B found that although the women who me their current partners on the Pill reported a less satisfying sex life, their relationship lasted an average two years longer than those who were not on the Pill.

A woman’s natural hormones fluctuate at different times during the month. At one point she may be attracted to the Alpha male or attractive man and at another point to the man who is most prone to give her healthy children.

Scientists claim the Pill blunts the natural hormonal fluctuation and prompts a woman to go for a steadier mate all month long.

Some doctors warn that the research is not conclusive as to how a woman should choose her mates. So whether you’re on the Pill or not, let your instinct and best interests guide you to your significant other.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.