Halloween’s Over. So What? Here’s 5 Streaming Recs that Scream ‘Spooky Szn’ Year-Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Halloween might be behind this, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate its spirit. If you feel like spooky season left went by too fast, here are five movies and series you can stream to get the haunts.

The Exorcist (1973) – Philo

Inspired by the 1949 exorcism of an anonymous child known only as “Roland Doe” (a pseudonym), this landmark supernatural film has horrified audiences for over 40 years. When 12-year-old Reagan McNeil suddenly begins to levitate, speak in tongues and violently lash out, a priest suggests that the “illness” is demonic in nature. Her desperate mother allows them to attempt an exorcism on her tortured daughter as the malevolent spirit violently resists.

Bite Size Halloween (2020 – present) – Hulu

If you’re not a fan of long-form content, this series is just the thing for you. These 5 to 10 minute horror shorts are a bite size serving of the scares you know and love. Ranging from terrifying to campy, each episode is its own dose of lighthearted horror, without the time commitment or crazy gore that’s generally expected in the genre.

The Conjuring (2013) – Netflix

By this point, we’ve all heard of The Conjuring and the vast franchise it spawned. It tells the (arguably) true story of demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren as they head to help the Perron family, who have recently moved into a farmhouse inhabited by spirits. The paranormal activity begins to escalate, curdling into a nightmarish tale. If you haven’t dived into the Conjuring-verse yet, this is the perfect film to dip your toes in.

The Evil Dead (1981) – HBO Max

It’s hard to believe this movie was made by the same person who helmed the original Spider-Man trilogy. This 1981 classic took the horror industry by storm, made by a 20 year old Sam Raimi with a miniscule budget mostly raised from friends and family. Ash Campbell, our everyman protagonist, visits a cabin with his friends where they accidentally unleash an ancient evil. And, as you expect, madness ensues. This campy, low-budget classic is perfect for any Halloween (or non-Halloween) movie night.

Evil Dead (2013) – Rent on Amazon Prime

A remake of the 1981 classic, Evil Dead reinvigorates the story with a modern twist. The film follows Mia, a heroin addict attempting to kick the habit at a remote cabin in the woods. The film is less of a remake and more of a soft reboot– director Fede Álvarez says the story takes place 30 years after the original, with the “evil” resurfacing once again. Gone is the camp of the original; this movie will have you peeking through your fingers at the insane gore and excellent performances. Definitely recommend a double feature of The Evil Dead (1981) and Evil Dead (2013).

All that’s left to do is grab your popcorn and some friends for the movie night of your dreams (and nightmares) –– enjoy this make-believe #SpookySzn!

Monique Ezeh is a senior at NYU, where she studies politics, journalism, and creative writing. She is a multi-disciplinary writer and researcher, an activist, and a lover of funky earrings. She's also on the social media team for HCNYU! When she's not writing (which is rare), you can usually find Monique baking banana bread, going on long walks, and waiting patiently for Noname's next album.