This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

October is my favorite month of the year because it means Halloween is back. Each year I plan what I will be wearing during Halloween and what my friends and I will be doing during Halloween. It is truly the most enjoyable holiday. Since Halloween is all about dressing up as someone or something else, why not put a spin on it? Fashion is all about dressing up as something unique and different, and Halloween is a great opportunity. Check out some looks from the runway to make your Halloween costume haute couture. 

Moschino 

Halloween is a day dedicated to “camp.” Camp is a fusion of high, popular culture, and creative expression where exaggerated uniquely. Naturally, I had to bring up Moschino’s 2020 resort collection by Jeremy Scott. In this show, there were many references to infamous horror movies and shows such as Frankenstein, The Shining, Scream, Stranger Things, and etc. Models had accessories of Trick-or-Treat bags, witch hats, and monster masks, things easily found at party-goods stores. It’s ‘cheap and chic,’ and it’s Moschino, nothing more to be said. 

Mugler

Not everyone might know who Thierry Mugler is (since he retired in 2002). Still, I can imagine everyone has seen the iconic ‘wet look’ worn by Kim Kardashian during 2019’s Met Gala dress or the shell dress worn by Cardi B during 2019’s Grammy Awards. Mugler is known for his haute couture pieces, known for composing fashion with pop. The elements that he produces would not be considered wearable for the general public. That’s what makes him so unique. He doesn’t create to satisfy retail consumers who want to purchase an accessory or two. He does not aim to satisfy the everyday consumer, and because of this, his designs have pushed the very boundaries of fashion. And if you are ever so so lucky to own a vintage Mugler couture, treasure it and display it somewhere where it can receive the attention it needs because it’s not just a piece of clothing. It’s a piece of art. 

Viktor & Rolf 

While everyone is taking the basic route, how do you stand out? Well, Viktor & Rolf’s fall 2020 couture collection tells us if we want to be the talk of the town, you have to be big and loud, and that’s precisely why you should draw inspiration from this collection for your costume! If you want an easy outfit, here it is. My recommendation is to buy a large white dress and start sticking emoji stickers on yourself, and you’re all set!

Christian Lacroix

I have always admired Lacroix for his over the top theatrical couture shows. It was indeed a tragedy when the house stopped producing shows. But if you are looking for a zombie/zombie bride inspired look, look no further than his 2008 couture collection. Honestly, this is a classic look. So go to your local thrift store and find a vintage gown that you can cut up and destroy! Happy thrifting!

If you ever recreate an outfit inspired by the runway, please tag me on Instagram (@rens.nyc)! I would love to see your wonderful creation! 

Serena is a senior editor for the NYU campus. She is a rising senior studying economics and psychology. Her interests besides writing for Her Campus are keeping up with the latest high fashion trends as well as testing new beauty products. If you have any questions or just want to chat, hit her up on Instagram/TikTok @rens.nyc
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.