Girl Crush of the Week: Dani Antonia Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The phenomenon of “the girl crush” has been circulating the globe for as long as anyone can remember.  English women back in the 1500s probably wanted to be Queen Elizabeth just as badly as ninety-percent of the female population wants to be Jennifer Lawrence today.  And no, it’s not just because both were rich and famous; there are plenty of women like that who aren’t nearly as admired (take your pick).  It takes a certain kind of girl do be deemed “crushable”, and here’s a profile of some bonafide girl crushes walking around campus.

Name: Dani Antonia Thompson
Age: 20
Hometown: Queens, NY
Major: Individualized Study Concentration of Literature and Society, 1831-1915

Girl-Crush Status:  They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but with a smile like that and a laugh like hers, Dani is pretty much the charming individual your presuppositions give you.  Talk to her, though, and you’ll find yourself getting to know and extremely bright woman who manages a penchant for laughter and feistiness.  Oh, and she has the Game of Thrones theme as her ring tone.  What  more could you want from a girl crush?    

HC NYU: So who are your personal girl crushes and why?
DT: Lupita Nyong’o and Angelina Jolie. I recently saw 12 Years A Slave and I fell in love with Lupita’s performance as Patsey! To know that Lupita just graduated Yale Drama School and immediately received the role is so inspiring. Her performance is so filled with emotion and seems so effortless. By effortless, I mean she was Patsey. That level of acting with an emphasis of escaping into one’s character is so rare these days. Plus, her style choices are to die for. She’s passionate about her profession and holds her head high with poise when in the spotlight. As for Angie, what’s not to love? I’ve had a girl crush on her since Hackers. I’ve always been a fan and her humanitarian works makes me love and appreciate her even more. I know I shouldn’t need a celebrity’s influence to do some good in the world, but she pushes me nonetheless. I recently watched Angelina accept her Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the 2013 Governors Awards on Youtube, and the video brings me to tears each time I watch it. She doesn’t separate herself from those who need help. Angelina connects herself to every refugee and realizes that she has the opportunity to help. With Angelina, family matters and she brings up her mother who said to her, “That nothing would mean anything, if [she] didn’t live a life of use to others.” It’s a small quote, but a powerful one. It’s pleasing to see others who go above and beyond to destroy their bubbles and use their voice for good, as I hope to do in my life.

HC NYU: What are some qualities that constitute not just a girl crush, but a good person in general?
DT:  Patience, understanding, and the ability to have fun in the toughest times. All of these qualities require more effort from everyone and the ability to look past our immediate reactions to certain things or things that we’re uncomfortable with. I guess having as much as a silver-lining as possible would sum up these traits.

HC NYU: What are some personal qualities that you’re  particularly proud of?
DT: I’m proud that I try to be as polite as possible and that I always listen to others when they want to talk or need advice. Also, I’m proud that I’m stubborn. I know stubbornness has a negative connotation, but sometimes standing up for my ideals a little longer than I should is worth it.

HC NYU: You’ve mentioned you’re a fan of HBO’s Game of Thrones. Are there any qualities the women in the show exhibit that could be deemed as “girl-crushable”? And are those said qualities timeless?
DT: Yes! The women in show have just as many varied positive or negative qualities as the men. They’re all just humans in the end, and that’s what makes the show so priceless. The show even extends the roles of characters that aren’t as important just so we get the little details that make a personality. Though, giving these small roles more attention ends up leaving the audience in pain rather than in joy. The qualities range from loving, compassionate to physically or mentally strong! And I do believe the qualities are timeless. For instance, my favorite character is Brienne of Tarth. She is first perceived as masculine, but that is all on the surface. She’s actually a shy maid at the basics, yet so much more. I think the best way to describe her is through Jaime Lannister. As Brienne was on his mind, he thought, “stupid stubborn brave bitch.” I won’t say what was happening during that chapter in A Storm of Swords [the third book of the series in which the show is based on], but I will say that the “good” is always mixed with the “bad.” Out of all of a character’s insults and seeming dislike towards a character like Brienne, the most important and admirable qualities are always there shining even in the darkest times.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.