Fitness Frenzy: Workout Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

In high school when I hit the gym or the track after school, I always threw on cotton leggings and a huge baggy t-shirt. Although this may have been a comfortable choice, I have to admit it wasn’t the best one.

When I got more serious about fitness, I came to the realization that there was a whole new section of my wardrobe to shop for as well! After much trial and error, I have figured out my “go to” fitness accessories. These are the ones I buy time and time again. I have a few different key pieces for Spring/Summer running as well as Fall/Winter running.

I have worn this Saucony tank top on my long runs this past summer. It’s light, breathable, and has a relaxed fit. I never feel overheated while wearing it, and fnd that my temperature stays regulated throughout my workout. I’m also a big fan of the t-shirts made by Nike. I usually don’t like working out in a t-shirt because my arms feel constricted, but this one moves with me instead of holding me back.

At a relay race last year in upstate New York I checked out Walmart for some extra layers I had forgotten. I discovered their Danskin brand there and fell in love with the thermal long sleeved shirts. These have become a staple for me in the winter, leaving me warm but not sweating during my workouts. I also have last season’s version of this running jacket. It’s a staple for me, and I find that on really cold days in the winter It takes away some of the burn from the wind.

I love these GapFit running shorts. A lot of shorts are either much too short or baggy around my legs. These ones have the perfect amount of room for my legs to hit a full stride but not make me feel like I’m flashing the rest of the world. I also love these Lulu Lemon crops for when the weather gets cooler. These Lulu Crops are my favorite for yoga or just hanging out.

Before I tried out socks made especially for working out I didn’t even realize there were such a thing. Feetures brand happen to be my favorite (and have the most adorable name!) I buy mine at Jackrabbit (which also happens to be my favorite store for anything sports-related) and usually pick the pack with the fun colors.

I have had trouble with sports bras for as long as I can remember. I love these Champion sports bras for going to the gym. They’re comfortable and supportive without being too much. The only bra I’ve found works for me when I’m running is this one.  Moving Comfort has really great sports bras and I keep meaning to try more of them.

Finding workout clothes is hard! These are my favorites, but that doesn’t mean they’ll work for everyone. Please let me know in the comments if I’ve missed any. I LOVE to learn about new fitness accessories, and would love to hear some of your favorites!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.