books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

A Few Classic Books Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

In today’s society, where technology and social media run rampant, it can be difficult to find the time to just sit down and read a novel, much less a thick novel spanning over 300 pages. We’ve transgressed into a time of cell phones and iPads, and many people currently enjoy reading on their Nooks or Kindles on the subway in those idle moments which are all they have to spare.

Sometimes it can be difficult to balance our responsibilities, whether that be receiving good grades, maintaining an active social life, or simply going to sleep before midnight (hopefully) a few times a week.

While this diagram represents the truth about college life, it’s important to think about where we come from. We are inspired by the people and books that came before us- they teach us to learn from our mistakes and about how to connect to society as a whole. Classic novels will always be needed to draw us to our foundation and teach us how to grow. Here is a list of classic books everyone should read.

1. “Gone With the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell

Despite the Civil War setting, “Gone With the Wind” is a novel that never gets old. Scarlett O’Hara is a powerful woman who never allows anyone to limit her or tell her she isn’t capable of doing something. Originally a pampered socialite, Scarlett shows admirable strength of character in how she rises in the face of tragedy to take care of and provide for her family. Furthermore, Rhett Butler is a character who will make you swoon- with his bad-boy facade, perfectly slicked back black hair, and support of Scarlett for who she is and how she is, he’s practically perfect.

2. “Heart of a Dog” by Mikhail Bulgakov

Growing up in a Russian family, my parents have always tried to expose me to the Russian classics. Bulgakov’s “Heart of a Dog” explores the transformation of a dog to a man to satirize the New Soviet Man of the 1920s, which in Bulgakov’s novel ends up being depicted as slovenly and ignorant. Written from the perspective of a dog, the book is fascinating in its psychology of the human and animal brain.

3. “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak

Although this is not technically a “classic” book since it was written and published in 2005, “The Book Thief” teaches us important lessons about humanity and our role in the world around us. Do we choose to help the people around us even if it places us at risk, or do we keep ourselves safe first and foremost? This is a valuable book to read, especially in the times we live in today, to learn about accepting and embracing people from cultures different from our own.

4. “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte

“Jane Eyre” is more than just the movie with Michael Fassbender in it. Just as talented as her sister Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte spins a story about another powerful woman, while also stressing the importance of education and standing up for your beliefs even if it can seem frightening.

1/2/3/4/5

NYU Gallatin student passionate about art, literature, and good coffee
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com