Explore Manhattan Neighborhoods: The Eclectic East Village

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The East Village, an area that many NYU students already know quite well, spans east of Third Avenue between Houston and 14thStreet*. Once a stomping ground for punks and beatniks, a massive overhaul to the area has left it much more commercial, but with a little more character and sense of neighborhood than Midtown. Here are some of the best bets for where to eat, what to do, and where to go if you’re in the neighborhood.

*There’s a little controversy about whether Third or Fifth is the western boundary, but the city government says it’s Third, so we’re going with that.

Where to Eat

Zen Sushi
Try out this little Japanese joint, crammed along a stretch of St. Marks Place, for decent quality sushi at an excellent price. Their sushi is (somewhat confusingly) 50% off every day, which means that even the fanciest rolls come to little more than five bucks apiece.
31 St. Marks Place, between Second and Third.

Pommes Frites        
Two words: Belgian. Fries. The later the weekend night, the longer the line at this hole-in-the-wall fry joint, where greasy paper cones of generous-cut Belgian fries are served up with a lot of different dipping sauce options. Just don’t go expecting a seat.
123 Second Avenue, between 7thStreet and St. Marks

S’MAC
Another kitschy eatery, S’MAC is a “macaroni and cheese emporium” on 12thStreet. Try the “Parisienne”—with brie, figs, shitake mushrooms, and rosemary—or one of the number of reduced lactose, whole grain, and gluten-free options they offer as well.
345 E. 12thSt., between First and Second

The Smith
The Smith is a little pricier, but has great American fare and nice ambiance. It can be jam-packed on weekends though, especially at brunch, so reservations aren’t a bad idea.

Mudspot
Check out this independent alternative to Starbucks, a stationary incarnation of Astor Place’s ubiquitous MudTruck. Mud has excellent coffee, and a good variety selection of breakfast and lunch food. AOL CityGuide voted Mudspot as Best Coffeehouse—decide for yourself whether it deserves the honor.
307 E. 9thStreet, at Second Avenue

What to Do

Bowery Poetry Club
This poetry performance space is an East Village staple, featuring nightly events and often offering student discounts. Check the website for the calendar of upcoming acts.
308 Bowery, between Houston and Bleecker

Sing Sing Karaoke
There are a lot of little karaoke joints in the Village, but this one is pretty centrally located and has a great selection of pop, rock, country, jazz, musical theatre, and more. Private rooms are available, but some of the best entertainment can be had just hanging out watching people sing up front at the bar.
9 St. Marks Place, between Second and Third

Bowery Lane New York Chocolate Tour
There are only two words to describe this tour: 1) Expensive. 2) Delicious.
various locations on the Bowery

The Public Theatre
OK, so the Public isn’t technicallyin the East Village—at least not as this article defines it. The award-winning theatre specializes in Shakespeare and new works, and puts up so many shows each year that there’s really no excuse to not see at least one.
425 Lafayette Street

Yoga to the People
If you’ve been at NYU for more than a year and you don’t know about Yoga to the People, you’ve been living under a rock. This St. Marks mainstay offers free yoga—though there is a nominal “suggested donation”—and has dozens of classes each week. Come early to ensure a spot.
12 St. Marks Place, between Second and Third

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.