Explore Manhattan Neighborhoods: A, B, C, D, E, F, G…Let’s All Go To Alphabet City!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Avenue A, you’re alright
Avenue B, you’re brave
Avenue C, you’re crazy
Avenue D, you’re dead

This mnemonic device was used to describe Manhattan’s Alphabet City over two decades ago in the 1980’s, when the neighborhood had a reputation for pervasive drug use and violent crime. Around the same time, it was featured in the Broadway smash hit Rent by Jonathan Larson as the home to a group of bohemians who resisted mainstream corporate culture. In years since, however, the neighborhood has changed drastically: crime has decreased, rent has increased, and renovations have allowed tons of small businesses, bars, and restaurants to grow and thrive. Check out some of the area’s essentials, below.

Where to Eat

• For tasty (and healthy!) meat-free fare, vegetarians and vegans should check out Dirt Candy, on 9thStreet near Avenue A. The prices are a little steep, but this critically acclaimed restaurant is worth it.
  • Sushi fans that don’t mind shelling out a little extra cash should stop into Yoshi Sushi, on Avenue A between St. Marks and 9thStreet. Bonus: it’s open every day until 1:00 a.m.
  • East Village Tavern, at Avenue C and 10thStreet, has great standard pub food and a solid weekend brunch.
  • Brunch lovers should also check out the Sunburnt Cow, located just down the street at Avenue C between 8thand 9thStreets. This weekend deal is spectacular: $18 for any brunch entrée with unlimited drinks from the bar menu, which includes mimosas, screwdrivers, and more.
  • To impress friends who love Broadway (or just to indulge your inner theatre geek), visit the Life Café, the restaurant that the characters in Rent frequent.  The café, on Avenue B between 10thand 11thStreets, boasts healthy, organic fare with plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.
  • Girls who have a sweet tooth can visit Lula’s Sweet Apothecary, the best place in the neighborhood to blow a diet. The shop, on 6thStreet between Avenues A and B, serves up ice cream, shakes, and sundaes for reasonable prices.

Life Cafe on Avenue B in Alphabet City

Where to Drink

• Girls who love intricate signature cocktails and sophisticated ambiance should check out Rue B, a cocktail spot located just south of 12thStreet on Avenue B. Drinks are half off during happy hour (4-8 p.m.), and the bar features live jazz six nights a week.
  • Elsa is an Alphabet City lounge with a Great Gatsby-esque vibe, located at 3rdStreet and Avenue B. New York Magazinejust proclaimed it the city’s best faux-speakeasy, so check it out before it becomes too popular (and crowded).
  • Beer snobs can visit Grape and Grain, on 6thStreet between Avenues B and C. This tiny beer hall serves up craft beers at decent prices, with dressed up twists on standard bar fare to boot.
  • Visit dive bar Cherry Tavern to shoot pool, claim control of the jukebox, and flirt with available guys. The bar, on 6thStreet near Avenue A, has cheap drinks and an unpretentious vibe—and a decent singles scene, too.

Rue B on Avenue B in Alphabet City

Where to Go

• Hang out in Tompkins Square Park, an East Village landmark. The park is gorgeous in the spring, and features a Greenmarket with local vendors selling healthy, fresh food on Sundays.
  • For arts and culture, check out the Nuyorican Poets Café on 3rdStreet between Avenues B and C. This multi-cultural spot features spoken word, poetry, comedy, hip hop, and theatre events.
  • Breathe deeply at East Yoga at Avenue B and 13thStreet. This homey, welcoming little studio offers a deal for new students, $30 for three classes.
  • Finally, check out some of the many independent shops and boutiques the neighborhood has to offer. Top picks includeRed (a clothing and jewelry boutique), A Little Wicked (has some great vintage picks), and Love Shine (for unique and fabulous handbags).

Tompkins Square Park

Enjoy!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.