Before, During, & After Studying: The Best Guide to Acing Your Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

‘Tis the season for Red Bulls, finals, papers…ugh. Never mind an introduction.
 Below are tips for before, during and after studying:

Before Studying:

• Make a list of everything you want and have to do
     When we write things down, we’re able to get it off our minds and unclutter our brains, which ultimately leaves more space for us to complete the tasks effectively. If you store your to-dos in the back of your mind, the chances of you forgetting one or two things are very likely. You’ll spend less energy swimming around in your mind about what you’ve already done, what you’re about to do, and what you have to do, by just jotting it down. Keep the list by your side at all times, so that you could immediately record your thoughts.
  • Get specific: sub-task your tasks, then schedule them
    If you have a paper due, list all the steps to finish it: compile research, create thesis, relate research to thesis points, outline paper. If you have an exam to study for, list the key points covered on the exam and the materials you’ll need to study. Dissecting your tasks will make it easier to set specific times – allowing you to get a better understanding of what it is you need to do, how long it will take, and when you’ll do it.

During Studying:

• Strive to complete a task in either a 90- or 120-minute cycle
    This is our “ultradian rhythm”; research suggests it’s the optimal human limit (90 minutes on average, 120 minutes for others) for intensely focusing on a task. Which is to say, that during these 90- or 120-minute cycles, we are maximally focused and are able to perform the best. Our bodies move from a high-energy state into a physiological trough in this cycle, and toward the end of each cycle, our bodies begin craving recovery. Try scheduling a 90- or 120- minute time slot for one sub-task, then take a 5 to 10 minute break, then start your next slot for a different task.
  • Take intermittent breaks, mentally and physically, for renewal
    Studies show that these renewal breaks result in higher and more sustainable performance.Our bodies and brains need breaks. Red bull and coffee does not suffice, nor compensate for these necessary performance boosters. The length of your break isn’t as important as the quality of it. It could be as little as several minutes, just as long as you’re doing something that’ll allow you to disengage from your current work. You could listen to song on your iPod (one that makes you happy, of course), or go for a brief walk around the block – anything that’ll truly change channels. Sitting at a desk for hours decreases mental acuity, due to the reduced blood flow to the brain and other biochemical reasons. So go out, get some fresh air, and let your mind and body breathe a little – just make sure the break doesn’t turn into a permanent one.
  • If you are fortunate enough and have the time, take a nap
    A short 20 to 30 minute nap can revitalize your working performance significantly higher, research at Harvard shows. As I said above, breaks are great; a nap is a break on steroids. So if you have the time to take one, you should.
  • Eliminate multitasking – as much as possible!
    Studies at Stanford University show that multitaskers have a significantly harder time filtering out irrelevant information than non-multitaskers, and they also has a harder time switching amongst tasks than the non-multitaskers, making the former group to be less efficient at juggling problems. Eliminating distractions will make the task of multitasking less available. You could read more of multitasking’s dangers here.
  • Avoid simple carbs and go for complex ones, as well as protein and omega-3 fatty acids 
    Carbohydrates causes blood glucose levels to yo-yo, which leads to a vicious cycle of rapid fluctuations in insulin levels, which basically means that blood glucose levels’ instability leaves your brain craving for carbs. And because our brain relies on glucose for energy, we don’t want our brains to be gutted or gasping for more; we it to be relatively stable, which allows for optimal cognitive functioning. Simple carbs containing sugar and white flour are usually found in pastries, white bread, pasta, candy, soda – basically everything we love. Complex carbs can be found in fruits, (just to name a few, apples, grapefruit, prunes, strawberries, oranges) whole grains, and vegetables (carrot, broccoli, lettuce, celery). Protein is important, as well as omega-3 fatty acids.

After Studying

Good luck on finals collegiettes™!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.