Creative and Easy Ways to Reuse Disposable Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There is no question that disposable items have brought convenience to our lives. However, we might always get that guilty feeling when we thoughtlessly throw away items in the trash after using them only once. To do a favor to the ecosystem, here are a list of easy ways that we can reuse a variety of disposable items!  

Disposable Coffee Cups/K-Cups

Having the option to purchase a coffee “to-go” is something that has made my college experience a little more bearable. Though every time I contribute to the trash can filled with mountains of coffee cups, my heart breaks a little.

Here’s a fun and creative idea: you could wash up these coffee cups and make popsicle using them. Just use your favorite popsicle recipes and freeze them with the clean coffee cups. Adorable much? You could gather a few of your friends on the weekend and make different kinds of scrumptious and cute popsicles.  

Here’s another alternative: Following this tutorial, you could also turn the cups into a cozy little string of lights to brighten your mood and bring some glowing warmth to your space.  

Water Bottles

The plastic water bottle is perhaps the most commonly seen disposable item. Many water bottles are not suitable for multiple usages as a container for direct consumption. However, these perfect conditioned water bottles do not belong in the trash can either.

One of the easiest ways you can upcycle water bottles would be using them as a container of something else. Perhaps, soap? All you have to do is buy a spray, squeeze, or pump top for the water bottle, and fill it with whatever you want.

If you are looking for a choice that allows you to get more crafty and creative, you could learn how to make these aesthetically pleasing containers above in this tutorial.

Toilet Paper Tubes

For all you green thumbs out there, you could turn your used toilet paper tubes into a mini garden. The size of toilet paper tubes are actually perfect for seed starters. They give the plants enough space for their roots to grow, yet they aren’t too big to the points where it becomes difficult to manage. If you are new to planting, check out this guide to help you get a kick start!

Paper Bags

With the double layered grocery bags Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods “kindly” provide, I always find myself with piles and piles of paper bags that I can’t bring myself to throw away. I never really figured out a way to use them other than letting them occasionally serve as alternative trash bags. Here’s a life hack though: you could craft these paper bags and create a  little treat box for your friends and families. Environmentally friendly, easy to serve, and incredibly heartwarming and thoughtful.

Dryer Sheets

Dryer sheets can not only soften up and freshen up your clothing, but they could also be used as a cloth to clean off water stains. Whether it is your bathroom, kitchen faucets, or car tires, as long as there are water stains, your used dryer sheets can be of use. You will be amazed by the results.

Similar to the material of the sweeper dry cloths, the dryer sheets could be your solution to reducing budget on cleaning supplies. After you’ve used a dryer sheet, you could put it on your Swiffer sweep and clean the dust and particles on your floor. Due to the static it creates, the dryer sheet is extremely effective in capturing hair and will be very helpful for those who have shedding pets.

Next time you are about to throw these “disposable items” away, give it a second thought. These items don’t just have one life; they have several.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com