Campus Job: The Start-Up that Wants to Put You to Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New York is expensive. Duh.

Whether it was the first time you saw your grocery bill at the Gristedes checkout or when you realized just how much your 16 Handles addiction was costing you, we have all come to discover this in one way or another. While some of us may cope with this depressing reality by clipping coupons and bulk ordering ramen noodles, others seek out the more practical route of earning their own keep. Part time jobs can be a fantastic way to accumulate some pocket change to stay financially responsible while indulging in all that city living has to offer. Finding this part-time work, however, can be a bit of a challenge. Enter Campus Job.

Founded in 2012 by UPenn grads JJ Fliegelman and Liz Wessel, Campus Job is an online marketplace for businesses to find students to hire for part-time jobs during the school year. Fliegelman and Wessel built the site, and then let it be on its own while they pursued other careers, but recently found themselves eager to return to their passion full time. As of September of this year, the company has raised $968k in seed investments, and has established itself as a start-up to watch in the tech industry. Students are registered at nearly 500 campuses, and nearly 1,000 new listings are added to the database each week.

After a quick login process, filled with fun Gen-Y- friendly blurbs and prompts, users have free reign over the Campus Job database of jobs near NYU. Many of the positions are student brand representative or ambassador jobs like Student Brand Ambassador for Lyft, or Campus Rep for Greek Zebra, an apparel company. There are also several internship opportunities listed, as well as opportunities to work with larger companies such as Red Bull. The database definitely skews towards start-ups, so if you’re interested in that type of environment it would be worth your while to check out the site.

If you are tired of the listings on CareerNet and can’t seem to find a quick way to make money doing something that you actually enjoy, Campus Job may be exactly what you are looking for. The current offerings are rather limited, but the site is updated constantly, and will definitely expand as the company grows.

Check them out here and here.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.