Style > Beauty

The Best Eyeliners for Oily Eyelids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

While properly hydrated oily skin comes in handy at times, specifically when people ask if you have highlighter on when it’s winter and your skin isn’t red and peeling like your dryer-skinned friends, having oily skin also has a bunch of downsides: it typically includes larger pores, being more acne-prone, and major makeup movement. Whether it’s the foundation that doesn’t quite seem to stay put, the blush that somehow disappears throughout the day, or the eyeliner that always ends up giving you panda eyes by the end of the day, oily makeup wearers have seen it all. Although we can’t give you a one-stop solution for everything, we here at Her Campus NYU have decided to compile a list of our favorite eyeliners for oily eyelids to at least help prevent one of these common (and in my opinion, one of the worst) oily skin issues.

The Classics: Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner ($22) & Kat Von D Tattoo Liner ($20)

These two award-winning eyeliners are tried and true cult favorites loved by eyes of all skin types. While neither of them are my personal holy grails, they are my sister’s–whose eyes are oily, hard-to-work-with monolids–eyeliners of choice after trying many different brands. Sephora often has mini versions of these or full sizes included in gift sets, so if you’re interested in trying these out, check out the Sephora website from time to time for some bundled deals!

The Trendy Must-Tries: Pat McGrath Labs Perma Precision Liquid Eyeliner ($28) & Fenty Beauty Flyliner Longwear Liquid Eyeliner ($20)  

Pat McGrath Labs and Fenty Beauty are all the rage right now, and if you aren’t too familiar with them, you’ve most likely at least seen their content on Instagram (if you haven’t yet, go watch the viral kirakira eyeshadow videos by Pat McGrath for some visual ASMR). Both of these eyeliners worked spectacularly for me when they were freshly new, but after a few weeks of usage, the brush tips seem to wear down and dry out. In addition, on some days they wouldn’t smudge whatsoever, whereas on other days certain parts of my wing would rub off. Although the ruined brush tip is a common issue for me (perhaps to do with my eye shape/skin), the on-and-off smudging and the not-so-cheap price tags led me to give these to my sister.

The K-Beauty Contenders: CLIO Waterproof Pen Liner ($20) & Innisfree Real Lasting Eyeliner ($8)

This CLIO eyeliner is a go-to for K-Beauty lovers, and for good reason. With its various shades, waterproof formula, and easy-to-use brush, it has landed its title as many people’s holy grail eyeliner (including my best friend, who spends half her year in the U.S. and the other half in Korea—that’s a lot of eyeliner options!). While I don’t have it in my collection anymore, I don’t remember ever having a problem with it and it’s definitely my “I just rediscovered it and wondered how I forgot about it” product. On the other hand, this Innisfree sponge-tip eyeliner is one I will never forget, as it has destroyed every other contender and landed itself on my eyeliner throne. While most people prefer a pen-like design, I personally prefer brushes you can dip into the liner as it never dries out, which was a problem I mentioned earlier. In addition, this is the only eyeliner that doesn’t fade or move whatsoever, yet also comes off super easily, which are huge pluses as someone who typically has makeup on right after I wake up to right before I go to sleep. Even if you’re comfortable with pen eyeliners, don’t knock this one ‘til you try it (especially when it’s just $8!)

The Pencil Pick: Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner ($25)

I’m not the biggest fan of non-liquid liners due to the fact that they become dull easily and also seem to smudge on my eyes more, but somehow this Marc Jacobs crayon eyeliner has exceeded all my liner expectations, even including liquids! Despite its suspiciously smooth and soft formula, the gel doesn’t budge at all once setting, and the pigment is to die for. If you don’t want to dish out $25 for an eyeliner you aren’t sure will work for you, check out this $20 mascara and eyeliner duo!

We hope this guide makes smudged and smeared eye makeup a distant memory! 

Jamie is a senior at New York University majoring in Media, Culture, and Communication. Born and raised in Queens, she has always felt a deep connection with New York and eventually ended up attending both high school and college in the city. Some of her favorite things to do when she's not writing up her next piece include playing with makeup, reading a good book (her 2019 reco is Haruki Murakami's 1Q84), and talking about astrology (shout-out to any fellow Scorpios). After graduation, she hopes to continue her career in both the beauty and public relations/influencer marketing industries.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.