This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Oh polar vortex, you have tried to spite my efforts long enough.

When it gets this cold, I don’t worry about slipping on ice (my Southern feet haven’t quite found their footing yet).  The only concern I have is dryness.  I basically get home and roll around in lotion, body butter, body oil, you name it.  And, with Valentine’s day just around the corner, you definitely cannot forget your lips.

The wind chill may be unforgiving at best, and keeping your lips soft in this weather?  I’ve got it down to a T.

I know you all carry lip balm around, right?  Great, so let’s not waste time on that.

We’ll start with a sugar scrub.  If it floats your boat, feel free to go out and buy a tasty lip scrub – Lush makes one that kind of tastes like Coca Cola to me.  Personally, I love my homemade version.  It’s as easy as taking a spoonful of brown sugar and some lemon juice.  Scoop it up with your fingers and gently rub it over your lips in circular motions.  It tastes like lemonade concentrate a.k.a. super yummy.

You can also sneak a little exfoliation in when you’re brushing your teeth.  No joke.  After you’ve cleaned your chompers, run your toothbrush over your lips, too.  You’d be surprised at the difference it makes.

Now, let’s talk sleep.  I’m not going to lecture you on how many hours you need a day – Lord knows I don’t get enough shut eye.  I’m going to lecture you on Aquaphor (or whatever equivalent you prefer).  Before I get into bed, my lips are drowned in Aquaphor for Babies.  It’s super hydrating because it’s usually used for problems like cracked elbows and knees, etc.  Layer enough on, and it’ll create this moisture barrier to protect you from the dry heat in your room while you snooze.

Lastly, keep lip balm on you.  Seriously, your lips will thank you.  If you don’t like traditional lip balm, there’s literally dozens of alternatives.  I use my Josie Maran Creamy Argan Oil (which now comes in beautiful tinted colors), or sometimes I switch it out for my Smith’s Rosebuld lip salve.

Having smooth moisturized lips is vital.  If you have chapped lips, your next smooch maybe be a little… scratchy.  More importantly, your lipstick will not wear well, and I’m not about that life.
NYU Student, Married to Beauty, Mistress to Sweets, BRIDES fashion intern Spring 2013, Marie Claire beauty intern F/W 2013-14, Cosmopolitan beauty intern Spring 2014, Her Campus NYU beauty blogger, Her Campus National Contributing Writer.Facebook  Twitter  InstagramWill do tricks for cake.Georgia Peach at heart.Obsessed with skincare and makeup.Professional technology assasin.Shoe and bag hoarder.Self proclaimed top-chef.Currently plotting how to sneak my cats from home to NYC.Will hibernate in winter, so please leave a message with your emergency.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.