yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Autumn-Themed Day Trips Outside of New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Autumn has officially arrived and while this calls for fall-scented candles and pumpkin-flavored drinks, it also calls for apple picking, jack-o-lantern carving, and embarking on haunted hayrides. While it may be hard to satisfy your craving for fall-themed activities in the city, rest assured there are numerous places just a train ride outside of New York where your autumnal needs can be fulfilled! Whether it be staying local and visiting a nearby pumpkin patch or high-tailing it up to Salem, Massachusetts to visit the Sanderson sisters’ hometown, there are numerous opportunities you and your friends can take advantage of.

1. The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze

Located at Van Cortlandt Manor, visitors can embark on this jack-o-lantern lit excursion. Located less than an hour away from the city is this enticing attraction with features ranging from a pumpkin-decorated windmill to a carousel. Be sure to purchase tickets online before heading up to this luminous attraction!

Where: Van Cortlandt Manor, 525 S Riverside, Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

Transportation: Take MetroNorth from Grand Central Station to the Croton-Harmon Station. The manor is about a five minute drive from the station.

2. Harvest Moon Farm & Orchard

Want to knock out two birds with one stone? Head up to this farm where visitors can pick apples and pumpkins from the farm’s very own orchard and patch. While the farm is open daily up until Halloween, visitors who choose to stop by over the weekend can engage in activities ranging from taking a hayride to listening to live music.

Where: 130 Hardscrabble Road, North Salem, NY 10560

Transportation: Take MetroNorth from Grand Central Station up to the Croton Falls Station. The farm is about a five minute drive from the station.

3. Salem, Massachusetts

While this spot transcends the boundaries of MetroNorth, it’s a town that exudes  Halloween. Salem, Massachusetts, located just north of Boston, is known for the infamous Salem Witch Trials of the late 17th century. In addition to having several witch-themed museums and landmarks, such as the Salem Witch Museum, visitors can also scope out some filming locations from the 1993 classic, Hocus Pocus.

Transportation: Take either a bus or an Amtrak train to Boston, MA.

4. Headless Horseman Hayrides & Haunted Houses

If you’re looking for a less quaint autumnal activity, check out this wicked farm featuring numerous attractions. The estate, located right along the Hudson Valley, features haunted houses, hayrides, a corn maze, and several other activities for visitors to partake in. Attractions can be frightening though, so viewer discretion is advised!

Where: 778 Broadway, Route 9 W, Ulster Park, NY 12487

Transportation: Take MetroNorth from Grand Central Station to Poughkeepsie. The estate is about a fifteen minute drive from the station.

5. Storm King Art Center

Looking for an autumn excursion a bit calmer than the ever-frightening haunted house? Try visiting the Storm King Art Center located in Cornwall, New York. The center comprises of a vast sculpture garden with picturesque views of the Catskills, perfect for getting a glimpse of fall foliage.

Where: 1 Museum Road, New Windsor, NY 12553

Transportation: Take MetroNorth from Grand Central Station to the Beacon Station. The center is located just about twenty minutes from the station.

We hope this guide inspires you to get out of the city this weekend, explore somewhere new, and celebrate everything that autumn has to offer!

Image Sources: 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Hi! I'm Kate, and I'm a junior at New York University majoring in English.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.