Alex Smith: The Future Senator with a Big Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

When a freshman mispronounces “Bobst” or says “CAS” instead of actually saying the letters: C.A.S., most upperclassmen would internally roll their eyes in annoyance and carry on. Sophomore Alex Smith, who is known to be the friendliest upperclassmen among the freshmen, would probably not only point out the correct saying, but would also share twenty more tips in his book. Alex is the model of a well rounded student freshmen aspire to be, and he dreams of becoming a Senator. Keep reading to find out how Alex made his way up from being a lost freshman to CAS Class President.

The DL

• Name: Alex Smith
  • School: College of Arts and Science ’18
  • Major: History, Politics, and Law
  • Hometown: Overland Park, Kansas

HC: Can you tell me about your experience as CAS class president?

Alex: I was CAS class president last year, but since this year I’m going to Washington D.C. for a program, I couldn’t run because it’s a full year term. But I definitely plan to do so again junior and senior year when I’m back in the NYC campus. Nevertheless, last year it was an amazing experience. Coming from a relatively small town in Kansas, I had no idea I would become the class president at one of the largest schools. I think that one of the biggest parts that impacted me was how much access I had to so many other clubs and groups of students at NYU. It was amazing in that, on the policy side I had the chance to work with sexual assault reform and new diversity initiatives. From a personal perspective as someone who is involved in politics, working with the SSC (Student Senators Council) and a lot of other different groups interested in using policy to improve NYU and NYC as a whole was one of my best experiences. It’s true that NYU is a very diverse school, and with that diversity often comes a lot of clashing ideas. People are very opinionated here, but that’s why I loved being CAS class president so much. It was so interesting to just sit down with people from varying backgrounds and search for the beautiful compromise. I believe that at the end of the day, these issues have the same end goal, but we differ on how to reach that final step. I want to serve as the mediator and voice of these people, and this is why I definitely plan on staying involved in student government.  

HC: You’re known for helping out first year students. What was your first year at NYU like? How did you get so involved?

Alex: My first year was just incredibly busy. I was that kid who would take every single club flyer and be on the email list for all the organizations. Since I knew what I was passionate about, I started mainly focusing on my future interests by interning for different organizations centered around public policy and social justice. Academics were definitely my top priority, though, and I wanted to keep my scholarship while exploring new interests. Let’s just say there were more than quite a few all nighters pulled. Regarding the latter part, it was through my involvement in student government where I realized that I really wanted to serve as a guide for the class of 2018 and 2019 Facebook groups. When I was a freshman, there were too many times I found myself thinking, “Man, I wish I would’ve known to take X class or to avoid this and that.” I based my advice off of what I would have wanted to learn and hear during my freshman year. Now I’m really looking into working at Hayden next year as a FYRE RA, and getting involved in Residential Life. I really do enjoy helping underclassmen and showing them all the abounding resources they have access to.

HC: You’ve also interned at the Mayor’s Office and Generation Citizen. Can you tell me more and what you think was the first step in obtaining your position?

Alex: Generation Citizen centers on education and civic engagement. I worked with high school seniors and juniors in Brooklyn, giving them the tools to be engaged in their communities and teaching them how to find resources. Specifically what I did with the program was civically engage the students and have them pick an issue in the community that they wanted to see change in – with the ultimate goal being to get the attention of the city council or a representative. The issue my group of students picked was environmental awareness and maintaining a clean area. They learned how to structure an email/letter to their Congressman, and with some behind the scenes work, we were able to get the attention of a local newspaper, which then got the attention of their City Council Representative in Bushwick. The students met with their city council member and talked about the problem for an hour or so, and now he’s testifying to fight for their proposal – which is great. As for obtaining internships, I think that where I started with my applications was showcasing what I did in high school. I was really involved in high school speech, debate, and mock trial. That said though, I think the most important thing is to just get yourself out there. Find what your interests are freshman year, and once you do, center your activities around that sphere. For a first internship, make sure you’re involved in a few key things you are truly interested in. Don’t get overwhelmed or pressured to sign up for everything, and I would definitely emphasize quality over quantity. I would also emphasize having a job even if it has no relevance to the internship you are applying for. I had jobs at local movie theaters, but it still reflected that I could handle responsibilities and indicated that I would be willing to work hard.

HC: On top of this, what is it like being an MLK scholar?

Alex: The Martin Luther King Jr Scholars Program is an honors program that is specifically focused on social justice and equality issues. The technical side is that there’s a GPA standard, you have to take certain classes, and fulfill your majors and minors. But more importantly, each week we have a seminar and a bunch of outside activities where we can really discuss a wide range of social justice issues. My Tuesday schedule is super stressful and long with four classes, but the seminar is the most relaxing part believe it or not. We really try to find issues that we’re passionate about – mine being civic engagement. In my regular classes or lectures, I see that we tend to learn ideas in theory, but in my seminar it’s more of, ‘We’re upset, why are we upset, what can we do NOW?’ in practice immediately.

HC: You were one of thirty students selected from all of NYU’s campuses to go to Washington DC in the spring for NYU’s Global Leadership Program. Can you tell me more about what you will be doing?

Alex: The Global Leadership Program is in its first year for D.C. At first I was a bit skeptical, and I just wanted to make sure it was going to be a fulfilling experience. But as I did more research, I really found that it would be an immersive opportunity. It’s kind of an honors program for people who really love politics and government. It’s right at the center of D.C. where I will be meeting ambassadors and senators, going behind the scenes of the Smithsonian, and really diving into the heart of the capital. I’m taking a class called the American Constitution. I mean, what a more perfect place to take this class, right? I know I will be able to go on so many different adventures that perfectly complement the classes I’ll be taking. I start in January and I’m so excited to hear the varying international perspectives from students studying in Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, London, Florence, etc.

HC: What are your plans for the future?

Alex: I want to go to law school because I eventually want to go into politics. I think to go into politics you should have a solid foundation and understanding of the law. I’d not only like to practice law – hopefully immigration and civil rights law – but I also would like to eventually run for Office and continue to make a big impact on my community as a future Senator.

HC: And just because we want to know you more…

1. Your role model? My mom, who is a single parent and has been there for me since day one.
  2. Unhealthy Obsession(s)? Double stuffed Oreos. Not going to lie I buy an entire box and never end up “sharing” with my room. And the popcorn at Peet’s.
  3. Biggest pet peeve? When people aren’t true to themselves and feel inclined to act a certain way in different situations or in front of different people.
  4. Favorite study spot? The 3rd floor private study lounges at the Law School.

Follow Alex on social media: Facebook: Alex Smith; Instagram: @alexwaldosmith

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein