This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There are countless advantages of actually living in the surrounding areas of the Big Apple, from having your own spacious room (for the price of 1/4 of a room in Manhattan) to enjoying quieter, more intimate neighborhoods. The list goes on. The not-so-glamorous part of it all? The commute itself. It may start with a five minute walk and then an additional 30 minutes on the L…Oh, wait make that five minutes on the G followed by a transfer to the F, and then after 20 minutes on that, another stop at the A… “Superfast train ride to the city,” your realtor promised…never.  

In the end, it’s always worth it though, and we wouldn’t give up our roomy apartments for any closet sized room in Union Square. But when a significant amount of our time is spent just getting to where we need to go and back, we should really be making the most of it. Here are a few efficient tips for students commuting from the surrounding areas of NYC:

1. Be prepared for the day

Commuters, more than others, have to absolutely make sure that they’re not leaving anything at home when they leave their apartments in the morning. We unfortunately don’t have the luxury of being a quick 10 minutes away in case we forget our IDs, wallets, umbrellas, notebooks, etc. It’s important to always make sure you have what you’ll need for the day ahead of time. If you need to, make a list of reminders and tape it to your front door.

2. Pay attention to the weather

Being prepared for the day also means being prepared for the weather. We all know how capricious conditions outside can be at times, so be sure to check if you need to layer up or grab an umbrella. Again, we don’t have the convenience of just casually coming back to our places in between classes, nor do we want to buy a new umbrella every time it rains, so be on the lookout!

3. Pack lightly

Only take the things you’ll actually need. One thing I do to help me with this is to have two different bags: one for my Monday/Wednesday schedule, and one for my Tuesday/Thursday schedule. This undoubtedly ensures that I won’t forget anything for that day, but won’t take anything unnecessary either. Two birds, one stone.

4. Know your train’s tendencies

Even though most of us are familiar with the unreliability of the MTA system, this one’s still worth mentioning. If your train tends to be behind schedule (hint, hint: L train), try giving yourself 10-15 minutes more than the estimate from Google Maps. Also, know when your train is the busiest, and try to avoid those hectically hellish times. Getting on a Brooklyn-bound L train at 5:30 pm for example, is not advisable. Kill a few minutes outside in the cool breeze instead of fighting the angry mobs of tired New Yorkers in the stuffy underground subways.

5. Walk down the platform while you’re waiting for your train

To save time, walk to the spot of the platform where you know you’ll need to get off. For example, some stations only have exits at one end or the other. Be aware of this and walk to that spot before you even get on the train. When you arrive at your station, you’ll be the first one out, avoiding the insane stairway clogging.

6. Create a commute playlist and have your headphones handy

Compile a diverse list of songs that will get you ready for your day and mellow you out after it. Sometimes, music can make all the difference.

7. Print out your readings and do them on the train

Reading on the train actually makes the commute go by a lot faster, and interestingly, the constant buzzing of the train is known to help people concentrate. There’s not much to get distracted by since your service probably doesn’t work underground. You’re bound to get a lot of work done, so take advantage of this.

8. Download games on your phone for beyond-bored moments

When reading or listening to music starts to get old, play a game. Sometimes all you want is to have a few moments to think about absolutely nothing before you start a jam-packed day.

9. Take advantage of NYU’s Commuters & Off-Campus Students Programs

In case you didn’t know, there’s actually an entire lounge in–to name just one location–Hayden Hall dedicated to commuters and off-campus students. Not only are the facilities super accommodating and extra clean, but there is also an available printer and even a kitchen where you can heat up your lunch, simultaneously bonding with fellow commuters.

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.