6 Full-proof Ways To Get Yourself Up and Out Of Bed In The Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We’ve talked about how to fall asleep fast and easy, but what about waking up? Getting out of bed is tough, but now it can be tolerable! From improving your sleep quality to forcing yourself to stand up and turn off that annoying alarm, check out these simple tips that will make it easier for you to get up in the morning and finish the semester off with a bang.

1. Put your alarm far, far from your bed. 

It’s a little too easy to hit the snooze button when the last sound you want to hear is your alarm. Instead of leaving your phone at arm’s reach, try placing it farther away! To avoid the repetitive sounds of duty (or your roommates wrath), you’ll be up before you know it. Once you get to it, you’re already up and ready to conquer your day.

2. Welcome natural light

Try adjusting your blinds or curtains so that some natural light can get in as the sun comes out. During the spring the sun rises at about 7:00am. This depends on what time you want to get up, of course, since a dark room promotes better sleep. If you are striving to be an early riser, however, natural light will help your body naturally wake up with the sun!

3. Adjust your eyes

The National Sleep Foundation recommends shutting off all electronic devices an hour before you go to bed. In college, when a lot of your schoolwork depends on your laptop, we know this can be hard. Start slow! Apps like f.lux gradually adjust the light of your screen to reflect your environment and the time of day. As the light naturally changes, so does your screen, eliminating the blue light. Improving your sleep quality will make sure you are well rested and not craving those extra few minutes in the morning.

4. Find an incentive

Getting out of bed is a lot easier if you have somewhere exciting to go from there. Fixing yourself a nice breakfast, working out or taking a refreshing shower can all get your on track to a great day. If you don’t have a lot of time in the morning, overnight recipes can be quick and filling options to start your day on the right foot.

5. Plan your day out the night before

Making excuses to stay in bed is easier than… well, anything. Briefly planning out your day before you go to bed can help you organize your goals so you know what they are when you wake up. A quick list can help you visualize what you need to get done in the morning and motivate you to cross all of those bullet points off!

6. Make your bed

The sight of your cozy unmade bed can have relentless luring effects to get you off track. Fight the temptation by making your bed right after you get up in the morning. That little extra effort will make you less likely want to slip back under those covers you just straightened. Keep your eyes on the prize!

Images courtesy of pexels.com: 1/2/3

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.