5 Ways to Treat Yourself This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Whether you love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day 2016 is just around the corner. CVS has already began stocking up on its lovey-dovey aisles of red and pink assortments of chocolates, and restaurants are speedily booking up with reservations for the 14th. Sounds lovely, right? Maybe to some, and maybe not so much to others. To the beautiful gals out there who will be riding solo this V-day: you are, without a doubt, not alone! It’s time to confidently embrace the freedom that comes with being single. This year, say no to your usual dismal re-runs of Team Chuck & Blair in Gossip Girl, and most definitely do not cry yourself to a Nicholas Sparks movie. Keep reading for some simple ways to treat your single and stunning self this V-day!

1. Enjoy a soothing spa day

Remember that one time you had time for a manicure? Yeah, me neither. I think we can all agree that nothing can outmatch a gleaming coat of polish on freshly moisturized hands (best feeling ever!). Whether you’re feeling an extra pampering or perhaps an exfoliating facial, use V-day as an excuse to finally satisfy your desires!

2. One word: Brunch

Why hopelessly indulge in mediocre drug store V-Day chocolate when you can gobble up a gourmet Egg’s Benedict? Valentine’s Day on a Sunday should automatically scream a classy brunch occasion with your girlfriends. Being single can be tough at times, but not if you have your single BFFs right by your side! So this year, make a pact with your buds to spend time with each other over some savory omelettes and heavenly chocolate chip pancakes.

3. Spend some extra time at the gym

No date for V-day? Not a problem! You can say, “I’ll pass” to spending extra hours picking the perfect outfit or curling your hair for an SO. Instead, use V-day as an excuse to feel your best for no one but yourself. Head over to Palladium and dedicate an extra 30 minutes to your usual workout regime. Push yourself to the next level of speed on the treadmill, or show off your spunk in the weight room. Regardless of what you choose to do, spending quality time with your workout will definitely boost your sense of comfort with your body and health.

4. Buy a gift for yourself

By February 14th, chances are you’ve already spent far too many hours at Bobst in an attempt to kick off second semester productively. In the midst of the mountains of research papers and unwelcomed midterms, take a study break and journey to your favorite stores in Soho or Union Square. You’ve worked hard so far this semester, so feel free to distract yourself from V-day with a rightfully earned Kate Spade tote.

5.  Take delight in dessert

Just because you may not have dinner date plans doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have, more importantly, dessert plans! Valentine’s Day will always be associated with sugary sweets, so why not arrange a GNO at Max Brenner? If you’re more into the laid-back homemade lifestyle, perhaps an evening cookie baking session? I think it’s safe to say that chocolate chip cookie concoctions and ice cream sundaes are better than any boy toy.

Happy Valentines Day to all! Don’t forget to treat yo’ self!

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein