5 Ways to Dress for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but every year around the holidays, there is always mention of the infamous “Ugly Sweater Party”.  Whatever holiday you celebrate, there’s an ugly sweater for it.  However, why should the holidays be about horrendous clothing items, when it can be about exploring fun patterns, winter trends, and fancy makeup?

This article is here to give you the ins and outs of shopping on a dime, but looking like a million bucks. You don’t have to be a large spender to look presentable for the holiday season. Textures like velvet and plaid, and fun patterned tights can really spice up your look from ordinary to EXTRAordinary.

Starting with the base of the outfit, there are so many options for cool dresses, skirts or slacks.  A tight velvet dress, like ones from Forever 21 are super affordable and perfect for a holiday party. Pair it with a cool bomber jacket, patterned tights, platform boots, a red lip and you have yourself a ready-made party outfit.  

Nordstrom Bomber Jacket, $90

Forever 21 Velvet Dress, $15

If this look is too grunge for you, your taste might lean towards a plaid skirt, paired with a neutral-colored turtleneck. This look says, “preppy fashion icon” and is especially great for the holiday season.  Not only do young people like the look, but so do the older crowds. The plaid may look a little out of place, but do not be scared to try it out. Red, green, and blue plaids are the usual colors, however switching it up and going for a green-based plaid or even brown-based plaid would work as well. The skirt should be paired with a form-fitted turtleneck to give your outfit a classier feel, one that is the epitome of French-chic.  

ASOS Plain Black Turtleneck, $26

American Apparel Plaid Skirt, $28

Obviously you could do a bare leg, but who wants to worry about chapped skin and goosebumps when the array of tights in this world is so large! Floral patterns, houndstooth patterns, and even lined tights could help spice up your holiday ensemble. They can be worn underneath your dress or skirt, while simultaneously adding very cool details to the outfit as a whole. Want to swap out all the tights, skirts, and dresses? The same rules apply to slacks.  Pair them with a form-fitted top, cool blazer and you’re all set to rock around that Christmas tree.

Houndstooth Tights, $20

PS: If your grandmother bought you one of those hideous “ugly Christmas sweaters” and you promised her you’d wear it, modernize it. Throw a wool blazer on top and pair it with a cute miniskirt to distract from the fright of it all. Trust me, you want the Grinch to steal Christmas, not your ugly sweater…

Zara Wool Check Blazer, $129

Image credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.