This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Now that autumn is in full swing, the cold and rainy days have us all feeling the need to cuddle up indoors and never leave. Of course, this means we are all looking for new shows to pass the time. Here is a list of 5 shows that I’ve been loving in between my zoom classes. 

The Haunting of Hill House

It’s the perfect time to watch some scary shows to get in the spooky mood with Halloween upon us. The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor are two mini-series guaranteed to get a jump out of anyone. These shows aren’t like your classic horror movie, though. There is a heart found in them. Not only will the haunted houses give you a fright, but the characters will make you cry. Over the course of 9-10 episodes, you will learn to care for the ensemble of people who find themselves in heartbreaking situations. You’ll get your ghosts and jump scares, but you’ll also get a story about love, loss, and family at its core. 

Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls has everything you need if you’re looking for a comfort show to snuggle up to. It’s dedicated to its heart-warming moments, eccentric characters, and innocent romances. Watching Lorelai and Rory navigate their lives in the small town of Stars Hollow feels like a big hug. By the end of the show, you’ll feel as if you’ve lived there your entire life and know all the characters personally. With seven seasons and a prequel mini-series, there is more than enough content to take you through the fall and into the holiday season with Gilmore Girls. For those of you who have watched the show and know how good it is, consider a rewatch! With the way Lorelai babbles, there’s definitely loads of stuff you missed the first time around. 

Schitt’s Creek

If you keep up with award shows, you’ll know that Schitt’s Creek swept at the Emmys. It won every category it was nominated for including Outstanding Comedy Series, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and rightfully so! Not only is this show hilarious, but it’s great to watch with your family or just your parents if you’re stuck at home with them. It’s a family show with clever writing and fun characters. It follows a family of rich, spoiled people who go bankrupt and are forced to live in a small town motel. It’s a charming story with laugh out loud moments to get you through the melancholy of having to stay home. 

High Fidelity 

Moving away from Netflix, High Fidelity is a Hulu Original starring the fresh Zoë Kravitz. It only has one season, but the amount of fun you’ll have watching the 10 episodes will make up for it. It’s a remake of the 2000 film of the same name but does a gender swap of the main character, Rob. In the show, Rob (Kravitz) works at a record store with her friends Cherise and Simon while navigating her love life. The show will take you through a whirlwind of music and pop culture, not to mention the cool, laid-back style that Rob exudes with everything she does. By the end of the show, you’ll have new songs to listen to and new clothes to covet. 

Fleabag

Lastly, we have one of my personal favorite shows, Fleabag. With two seasons, the show has won 6 Emmys and 2 Golden Globes. It can be found on Amazon Prime and follows the life of a woman referred to as Fleabag, a witty but dark woman who expresses her sexual liberation and free spirit directly to the audience. The show witnesses her deal with her strange relationship with her family, her spiraling love life, and her traumatizing past through humor and decidedly bad choices. If you keep watching until season 2, you’ll come to know why everyone who’s seen it is obsessed with the Hot Priest. 

Spending most of your time indoors due to both the pandemic and the cold weather isn’t easy. Especially since all of our school work is now being accomplished in the same space as where we spend our free time, it can be stressful. Consider one of these shows if you’re looking for some relaxing time to yourself.

Currently a sophomore at NYU studying Dramatic Writing! Loves a good story, a cup of coffee, and all things New York City. Can be found on Insta @lilly.ulrich.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.