10 Ways to Prep for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Students are being taunted by midterm exam season, which is just around the corner. Although we’re uber excited for Spring Break, its timing isn’t ideal, falling right in the middle of NYU’s “midterm month.” Dealing with school, dropping everything for a week of relaxation, and then jumping right back into test taking and essay writing is definitely a challenge. So, here are some tips and tricks to ace this semester’s midterm season.

1. Schedule everything:

Midterm season is not limited to in-class tests. From essays to projects and presentations, professors might ask you to do different types of work that count towards a hefty chunk of your grade. So, it is essential to record all of these due dates in a planner or calendar, and be sure to set reminders for each deadline. Google Calendar is great for organizing everything in one place, and you have access to it with your NYU account! Another pro tip: color-code your classes!

2. Plan accordingly:

Time management is key. Besides scheduling your tasks digitally or on paper, in-person time management is truly what makes things work. From travel time to class, time to study, and leaving enough time to get a good night’s sleep, it’s important to create time for the tasks and due dates you have scheduled. Try labeling your blocks of free time with the tasks and assignments you want to get done during them to boost your productivity.

3. Find a study space that suits you:

Be it Bobst’s basement, the sixth floor, or the group study spaces on the south side, the options are endless. If the library is not your cup of tea, Kimmel is located right next door and has multiple study settings as well. If studying on campus just isn’t your thing, luckily our campus is located in arguably the best part of New York City! There are hundreds of nooks and crannies for you to explore to find your perfect study spot, from quiet coffee shops to beautiful public libraries.

4. Review lecture material and class readings:

For some, it feels like the first day of the semester was just yesterday. For others, it seems like it was years ago. Going over your class notes, lecture slides and content covered in class, and assigned readings will help you refresh your mind, bringing what professors have shared in class into a more complete perspective. Be sure to flag any topic you find confusing with a Post-It note to ask your professors about before the exam.

5. Create a study guide:

Whether you’re traveling over Spring Break or not, creating a study guide by-hand or typed will help you condense and organize the most important material for your midterm. As a bonus, you won’t have to lug around your heavy textbooks and binders when you escape NYC for a well-deserved break.

6. Remember to relax:

De-stressing is crucial during midterm season. It is important to allow yourself time to unwind after a long, busy day. The side effects of stress side have negative repercussions on all of your body’s systems, possibly affecting you in more than one aspect reports the American Psychological Association. Self-care can go a long way, and it doesn’t have to take up tons of time. From putting on a sheet mask while you study, taking a yoga class, and keeping a consistent sleep routine and schedule, little pampers like this can improve your mood and keep you focused.

7. Take breaks:

Remember, you’re human, and we all need a break! Neurons can only work for so long. Give yourself some downtime. Go grab coffee, cupcakes with friends, or even go to the movies for an early screening. Going out responsibly allows you to debrief and process the course concepts subconsciously, and then list the content you need to go over when you return and start studying again. Taking a walk, going to the gym or an art class, even petting a dog, are all mind-clearing.

8. Eat well:

Dr. Josh Axe, a certified functional medicine doctor who focuses on integrative health, has listed 15 foods to boost focus and memory. These include avocados, blueberries, and walnuts, just to name a few. Plus, this semester’s midterm season also happens to be flu season, so stock up on those fruits and vegetables to keep your immune system up! Remember that the most nutritious foods are those that are the the least modified or processed because they contain the highest amounts of vitamins and antioxidants. Buzzfeed also compiled an array of recipes with foods that are suggested in Dr. Axe’s article – check them out!

9. Don’t procrastinate:

Hello darkness, my old friend. Postponing a task, rescheduling for later, and watching one more episode on Netflix…it can wreck your schedule. Time yourself, and avoid the new Snapchat and Instagram updates for a while. No one likes those late night Sundays filled to the brim with work.

10. Trust yourself:

You’ve made it to NYU, so trust your brain and believe in yourself! If these words aren’t enough, here’s Ryan Gosling. Even though he claims not to have said it, the meme still helps us power through.

Image Credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.