10 Ways to Destress, Decompress, and Rule the Day Like a Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s a new school year. You have  an approaching deadline and you can’t help but feel unavoidable panic or sweating. Do not fear–most people experience these feelings of pressure and frenzy. For college students, stress tends to be a part of everyday life and many even find it unavoidable. Lucky for you, it’s not as scary when you have a plan to cope with it. Stress can be dealt with in many ways–here are ten of our favorites.

1. Vent to someone

@devynleone

The first thing that you could do when you’re feeling stressed is share what’s on your mind with whom you trust; that could be a family member, your best friend, roommate, or even a classmate. Being able to talk about what’s bothering you discharges any negative emotions you may have and could even leave you with new insights, advice, and control over your thoughts and feelings. Just make sure to choose your confidante wisely.

2. Dance

@wear.phera

Being able to let loose and have fun, even if it’s just for a few minutes, is a great way to take a break from other responsibilities you may have. Let out your anger, frustration, and built-up stress in a creative way and in a safe space! Find some time to jam out to your favorite music in your dorm room by yourself or with your friends. And if you have time, feel free to sign up for dance classes in a gym near you and embrace the opportunity to even meet new people!

3. Take a bubble bath

Having a bubble bath is not only a great way to pamper yourself (girl you deserve it), but it also allows you to relax. Use your favorite bath bomb, a bath oil like lavender, and light your favorite candles to create the ultimate spa at home. Having this time to yourself will allow you to re-energize. Let your mind wander and try not to ponder on current responsibilities. You can even grab your favorite book, relax to your Chillout playlist, or rock out to your all time favorite Beyonce album. This is your time to disconnect, so choose to do what makes you feel most relaxed, and make sure to stay off your phone!

4. Smile

Although it is hard to stay positive in stressful situations, surrounding yourself with people that you love and positive people can influence your overall mood and happiness. If you prefer to be by yourself during these times, read a book or watch a movie you know will make you laugh. Holding a smile actually reduces stress, decreases your heart rate, and relaxes the body. If you want to take it one step further, start laughing to yourself and soon you’ll find your laugh contagious-even to yourself! Laughing may put things into perspective and help you figure out your priorities. And if it doesn’t help, you can always call your besties for backup!

5. Exercise

Everyone knows exercise improves physical health. Not only that, but it improves emotional health, too. When the body feels good and healthy, the mind does, too. Exercise reduces fatigue, and aids in overall concentration and mental alertness, helping you enter a mindset capable of taking on anything.

6. Read a good book

Grab your favorite book to read, a cup of hot tea, and a cozy blanket on a rainy day to have the ultimate day to yourself. Surrounding yourself with your favorite things can definitely help you feel more relaxed and comfortable. And if you don’t like reading, that’s okay; find your favorite movie or show on Netflix and get cozy. And if you find yourself dozing off in the midst of the warm coziness let it happen! You definitely deserve a nap.

7. Do something new

Doing something out of your comfort zone is definitely not for everyone, for that in itself can create stressful situations. However, if you are the adventurous type find something that scares you and do it! Once you do it, your sense of empowerment for being able to overcome it will help you tackle any obstacle in your way. Go camping, say hi to a stranger, learn something new, or participate in a sport. If you’re not the adventurous type, you can easily find something to do that is in the realm of your comfort zone. Find a secluded place and scream or dance in the rain. Whatever it may be, the point is to learn something new about yourself and to have fun.

8. Clean or organize your space

Having upcoming projects and events written down is a great way to stay organized and avoid responsibilities from piling up. Having a neat planner is great, but having a de-cluttered space is even better. Organizing your space enables you to create a mindset in which you want to be in and being surrounded by an overall positive space will inspire you to be productive and positive. Pro tip: making your bed should be the first thing you do in the morning. As annoying as it may be, making your bed first thing in the morning puts you in a productive mindset for the rest of the day!

9. Pet animals

Hanging around and petting animals is a great way to relieve stress. Petting dogs in particular increases your levels of oxytocin, a stress-reducing hormone, and reduces your levels of cortisol, a stress hormone. So here’s another good excuse to hang out with your favorite cuddly creatures!

10. Practice breathing slowly

Taking deep breaths is always a good idea when you’re feeling stressed because it allows you to calm down, collect your thoughts, and decrease your level of stress-induced hormones. Focus on your breathing and to the rhythm to which you breath, as focusing on a singular thing can increase your sense of relaxation. Just remember to take one day at time, visualize your goals, and help yourself stay organized by writing things down. Always believe in yourself and your capabilities to reach your goals and remember: strive for excellence not perfection.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.