Style > Beauty

Three Types of Foundations Black Women Are Probably Missing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

One of the most prized possessions of women everywhere is their skin. We’re obsessed with uneven complexions, dark spots, laugh lines, under-eye bags, and even the scarring. We always want to feel as beautiful as we can be. As an aid to feeling as gorgeous as ever, make-up is our friend!

For Black women, the struggle to find make-up that suits our skin complexions and all of its wonderful shades is never-ending, but we’re making gains in the beauty community.

As with any good house, you start by building a good foundation, a good base. In the beauty community, there is really no process or required way of putting on make-up, but if you choose to wear foundation, here are some good options based on skin type:

For Dry Skin

Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation, $39

The Rainforest of the Sea collection is a dewy finish foundation, meaning it leaves your skin feeling and looking refreshed and moisturized. For people with dry skin, we never want to look like we have dry skin, so Tarte is one way to go.

For Oily Skin

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation, $39

The Born This Way foundation is a medium-to-full coverage foundation that gives a flawless finish! It helps make you feel more beautiful by keeping your oiliness at bay for a few hours. Everything that people with oily skin look for in make-up is here with this foundation.

For Combination Skin

Mac Studio Fix Fluid, $30

The Studio Fix Fluid by MAC is an oldie but a goodie. It will help you confidently explore who you are with your combination skin by keeping oily parts dry and dry parts moisturized. This foundation is the equilibrium combination skin is yearning for.

As far as make-up goes, it’s an art. I love the different possibilities that make-up brings to the table to allow variety in the way that we can define our appearances as women, and more importantly Black women. I hope this list helps with your beauty journey!

Junior, journalism major with an interest in law. Feel free to get to know me with my socials!